Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffersonscott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Virginia eviction law
    In Virginia, when I give a tenant a "5 day notice" to pay rent or quit, do I have to include the amount owed? I served one and got a court date for unlawful detainer. But my original letter does not have an amount enumerated. My internent search has proved confusing on the matter. Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Ok, I will be honest not up on Virginia, you can find a link to their laws on the main real estate board, on a "sticky note" there.

But at least here, yes, how else do they know what to pay, if that amount is not listed. And it is the proof of what you are asking for, if they don't and you go to court. Now of course in 99 percent of the eviction hearing, the renter never shows up, they are either out before the court officers shows up, or you get to carry their stuff to the curb.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 12:46 PM
    I'm confused by your post. You filed a 5-day notice on a tenant without putting a dollar amount? You got a court date for an unlawful detainer? I'm a little unclear.

Typically when you file the 5-day notice you put the full amount due, including late fees. If it's not paid in 5 days, you go and file an unlawful detainer (this is done in the court building, but not in a court room). On the unlawful detainer, you put the full amount of rent, plus late fees, and additional rent up until the court date. You file this, then come to court on your assigned day. Once you are in court, you can instruct the judge is the amount is changed because the tenant paid a portion, but I do not think you can ask for more once in court.

Hope this helped.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

May 25, 2007, 06:51 AM
    The NOTICE required is actually that... a NOTICE and YES it must have the amount of rent demanded BEFORE you can file an unlawful detainer/eviction.

If your "letter" states the period that rent is DUE - May 1, through May 31, 2007 and the total amount of rent due per the lease contract and that if they don't pay and/or deliver possession to you, you will file for an eviction - then that should be sufficient in VA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction laws in virginia [ 4 Answers ]

My house has been foreclosed on. The person who purchased it says we have to be out tomorrow and will not extend the deadline. We have no money to go anywhere until the end of this week. She says she will begin the eviction process tomorrow morning. What are my rights, if any and what is the...

Virginia eviction laws... from the tenant's side [ 2 Answers ]

I see a lot on here regarding what landlords are supposed to do during the eviction process, but what are the tenant's rights? How long do we have after rent due date until the eviction process can be started? If we pay the rent in full, even after that date, does that negate the eviction?

Housemate eviction in Virginia [ 5 Answers ]

I am a homeowner in Virginia. More than two years ago I allowed my business partner to move into my house without a rental agreement. She brought furniture and many other personal items. During the past year I have asked her to leave several times, but without success. She dismisses my...

Virginia Foreclosure and Eviction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I purchased a home last week at auction. I close tomorrow, if everything goes right (otherwise, I close Tuesday). The previous owner is still living in the house. How do I have her removed? Thanks!

Virginia eviction process [ 8 Answers ]

Hi--I have been impressed with the quality of responses here, but I haven't seen something that describes my situation. I am a landlord in Virginia. I have a tenant (couple) with 9 months to go on a lease governed by VRLTA (payable on the 1st), but they have been paying rent late. With no rent...

View more questions Search