Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lorane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Squatters Rights in Texas
    Can someone fence and openly use a part of someone else's land without their permission and in 10 years it belongs to them?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Squatters' rights no longer exists. It has been replaced by the law of adverse possession. In your case, if the person has fenced off the property and used it for a continuous period of 10 years, then yes, they may be able to sue for title to that property. You can read more about it at http://recenter.tamu.edu/pdf/1152.pdf
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 02:50 PM

This law is also referred to as Open and Notorious possession. The true owner would also have to fail to do anything to get the "squatter" off his land within the time limits. In some caes the squatter must also be paying the taxes while the owner is not paying.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2009, 03:48 PM

Why do you ask? Are you the land owner that had property infringed on or the infringer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squatters Rights In Texas [ 8 Answers ]

My mother in law has been allowing my sis in law and her husband to live in her home for about 7-10 years now my mother in law was living some where else. Well now my mother in law is very ill and needs to sell the house so she can go into a nursing home. She recently added on to the house and...

Squatters Rights in Texas [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living on my land now for 16 years and my parents now want me off! This is my second home on this property and I have built pemanant stuctures. Do I have any rights by Texas law?

Squatters rights in Texas [ 5 Answers ]

I have lived in a house that I was suppose to be buying from my mother in law for the past 12 years. I very rarely received a receipt because it being family. Now she says that in 12 years time I have only paid 2 years worth of payments. Now she has gave power of attorney to my brother in law...

Squatters rights [ 6 Answers ]

What is the time limit on someone who fenced in an FPL easement of association's property? When does that property become the person's land (subject to FPL access)?

Texas squatters law? [ 5 Answers ]

I heard from a friend, that there is an old law in Texas about getting land by staying there a certain amount of time... but I'm not sure if its true... he told me that if you stay on a pice of land that isn't owned, it will become yours after a period. I'm curious if this is true?

View more questions Search