Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leesahdz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Lease agreement
    What is the legal time I need to provide a tenant that signed a month to month lease agreement?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Will you please be a little more specific?

Legal time for what? To tell them to move out??

If they signed a month to month lease, what does it stipulate in the lease? Does it say anything at all about notice to vacate? What state are you in?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 08:07 PM
    You need to provide them all their legal notices and copy of the lease at the time of signing.

If you are talking about notice to move out, it will or should be listed in the rental agreement.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Hello leesa:

As the others have suggested, there are MANY different time requirements for landlords. We need to know which particular one you're talking about.

However, instead of just asking us. If you're a landlord, and I guess you are, you ought to go look up the various time requirements in your states landlord tenant law, yourself. After all, you SHOULD be familiar with the rules, don't you think? You don't play poker without knowing the rules, do you? Monopoly? Gin rummy? Any of those things? You know the rules about driving, don't you? Well, you're in the landlord business. You should know the rules that govern the landlord business.

You've probably got a pretty hefty chunk of cash invested in your rental property, and you could lose it all... No, strike that... You WILL lose it all if you don't know the rules.

Interestingly, there's a copy of your states landlord tenant law at the top of this forum for your convenience.

excon
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 3, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by leesahdz
    what is the legal time I need to provide a tenant that signed a month to month lease agreement?
    There is so much more to being a landlord than just collecting the rent. READ the revised code for your state. Join a Landlord Association in your area. There are federal laws that you must abid by. If your home was built before January 1, 1978 you are obligated to give them the pamphlet "Protect Your Family From Lead in Your Home" and a specific disclosure must be signed before your lease will take affect. Some of the courts will refuse to hear your case if do not have the disclosure. The rental property is one of your largest assets... get up to speed on the laws and take being a landlord seriously.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Lease Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Pinole CA. On October 16, 2006 I renewed my rental agreement for one year. The old one was due to expire on Nov. 30, 2006. The new agreement was effective on Dec. 1st, 2006. On Nov 29th my landlord put a revised rental agreement on door stating that she had did an audit and a mistake...

Lease Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancée and I having been staying in an apartment in PA for over a year and a half. We did not renew our previous lease but have continued to stay based on the leases provisions. The lease states that after the lease ends (1yr) that the tenant may stay on a 60 day provision. The tenant must...

NEED HELP --Lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

On April 18 I filled out an application for an apartment for June 1 and gave a $649 deposit to be held for last month rent. The next day they called and let me know I got the apartment. Since then I got back together with my girlfrend and moved back with her. I contacted the apartment company on...

Lease agreement [ 1 Answers ]

I just Received a notice from my landlord that he going to up the Rent in June, Ive been living here since the late 80's. Twards the end of the notice, he writes, "New Month to Month Lease Required". And I'm not sure what's meant by that and this guy is kind of a slickster... Can anyone Help?...

View more questions Search