Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WhyHaveTenants Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Rent due after notice
    I have a rental agreement that states (trying to be precise here, but not so wordy):

"Lessee hereby rents from Lessor, those premises known as xxx upon a month-to-month tenancy, commening on the 21 day of xxx and terminating at 12:00 noon on the expiration date thereof, at the monthly rental amount of $$ due on the 1st of each month."

"tenancy may be terminated by either party on at least 30 days written notice to the other, prior to the expiration of a term of tenancy. In th event of the Lessee's failure to give such notice of intention to terminate, he shall be liable for another full term."

Notice to terminate month-to-month tenancy was given on 11/9 (dropped in mail box and a copy mailed certifed that same day). Keys were given to landord on 12/9 very late at night.

Landlord contends I own rent.

1. Is this a lease month-to-month (I get the impression that leases are diffferent that other rental month-to-month agreements) and does that matter?

2. I understand I owe rent until 12/9. But Landlord contends I own rent for the rest of the month 12/10-31. Do I owe rent for full month ("liable for another term").

3. Do I owe rent for until 12/19 since agreement started on the 19th?

4. Do I owe rent for 12/10 since keys were definitely turned in after 12:00 on 12/9 ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2009, 05:56 AM
    Hello W:

Rental periods run from the 1st to the end of the month. If a tenancy starts at any other time, the rent is prorated to the first, as YOURS was.

Therefore, any notice, no matter WHEN it's dated, written, mailed, or received, becomes effective on the 1st.

Therefore, your notice became effective on the 1st of December no matter WHEN you proffered it. So, you owe all Decembers rent.

This is done so a landlord has a chance to keep his dwelling rented. It's very hard to get a tenant to start a lease in the middle of the month, so why should a landlord have to eat that income? Now, he may NOT get a tenant to move in as soon as you leave, but THAT loss is on HIM.

excon
    WhyHaveTenants Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Follow-up:
    Actual dates should all be 12/21 (not 12/19 my typo)
    Residence is in California

Landlord is asking for rent from 12/1 to 12/31 (which is more than my deposit)

Sounds like maybe I owe the rent - does anyone think otherwise ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay rent or quit notice [ 7 Answers ]

Renting an apartment in Kansas... just received a "quit or pay" notice "within 3 days". Can't pay. How long do I have before being evicted? What are the next steps? Thanks!

Does 3 day Pay rent or quit notice include only rent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My tenant paid $500 to get into my house (California). He was supposed to pay $3300 ($1800 rent + $2000 deposit) by 4th June. This was stated in contract. Instead he paid $1000 on 06/06. He deposited in my bank account. So if I want to give him a 3day pay rent or quit notice, should I...

Pay Rent while under Thirty Day Notice? [ 12 Answers ]

I am a landlord. My tenant is on a month to month rental agreement. With the help of a consultant (not an attorney), I had a 30 day notice filed to vacate at the beginning of April. Although the tenant was paid up, they always pay very late after much reminding by me. In addition, they have...

3 Day Notice To Pay Rent or Quit [ 2 Answers ]

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer because this is all new to me. I'm renting out a room in my condo. My renter has not paid her rent and promised that I will have it on 2/15/08. I didn't get it so I served her with a 3 day notice on 2/16/08 (Saturday). It states in the notice "Within three...

No notice entry/ re-rent / notice [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I signed a year lease three months ago. We are currently living in Tennesee. The lease is 20 pages in length with numerous addendums etc. etc. It appears "iron clad". I have two questions, if you answer please consider the state I live in with your reply. 1. The maintenance...

View more questions Search