Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjhow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Landlord Tenant Law - Washington, DC
    Hello,

I have a friend who rented the basement apartment of her house to a person who has not paid rent for 2 years. She does not have a Certificate of Occupancy, but can't the tenant be evicted as a squatter, without a C. of O.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2006, 10:51 AM
    Here's how to get to DC Landlord Tenant Law:

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA: Official Code (Use the links to open Division VII Property > Title 42 Real Property > Subtitle VII Rental Housing > Chapter 32 Landlord Tenant)

There you'll find the details of how to evict. In my State the court costs are $110 and that involves 2-3 Trips to the courthouse. An attorney will do it for $150 in fees.

... so definitely worth calling an attorney or two to find out what they'd charge to get the eviction done.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Hello kj:

Nooooooope. There is a legal concept called "clean hands". A party who doesn't have "clean hands" (one who doesn't bother to obtain the required license) will not find relief in the courts. Besides, this person isn't a tenant by any stretch of the imagination. No landlord would EVER let a tenant go two years without paying rent. There is something else going on here.

Without a certificate, the landlord/tenant relationship cannot legally be formed. He or she is just a guest. The cops, however, might throw him/her out if your friend can convince them he's a trespasser. But after two years, that story isn't going to wash with the cops.

I think your friend, who tried to cut corners, got her corner nipped.

excon

PS> That said, her “tenant” might not be aware of his or her right NOT to be evicted, and might vacate upon receipt of a “three day notice” to quit or pay rent. It's certainly worth a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

I have a problem with my landlord and the association and I need your assistance. The property is in North Brunswick, NJ In June, my landlord received a letter, dated June 16th, stating that I have placed some miscellaneous items (Couple of buckets and a mop stick) on the deck of my rented...

Tenant vs. Landlord, VA [ 4 Answers ]

This one is a bit complicated... any help would be greatly appreciated... I was told by a woman I was working with that she had a house I could move in to and pay her "whatever" for the moment because she was paying the mortgage and it was empty. Something is better than nothing. I moved in...

Landlord-tenant laws [ 23 Answers ]

My apartment complex manager entered my apartment without giving any notice while I was at work, told a friend that she specifically said could stay there until he found his own apartment to get out and served him with criminal trespassing papers, told him to never be near the apartment complex,...

Can the landlord slander the tenant for no reason [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Thermopolis, Wyoming right now. Been here 8 months. Landlord was nice until my husband and I confronted her on all her lies. Does she have the right to slander us to other tentants and if not, what can we do about it. The owners of the property really don't care what she does because she...

View more questions Search