Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dade4life Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Can I The Landlord Break The Lease In Fl
    I have a property in miami fl I rented it out but want to break the lease to sale
    All the tenates gave me was a security deposit and first month and has been paying late for the last six months what can I do
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2007, 07:13 AM
    If they have been consistently paying late, you may have a cause for terminating the lease. Depends on what the lease says. But if they do pay, with late fees, you might have a harder time.

You also don't say how long the lease is for. Obviously they have been there for more than 6 months. If the lease will expire in a couple of months, then that shouldn't be an impediment to a sale.
    dade4life Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If they have been consistently paying late, you may have a cause for terminating the lease. Depends on what the lease says. But if they do pay, with late fees, you might have a harder time.

You also don't say how long the lease is for. Obviously they have been there for more than 6 months. If the lease will expire in a couple of months, then that shouldn't be an impediment to a sale.
    The lease is for one year it started 8-15-06 through 8-15-2007 they been paying late since and paid no late fees and I want to sale can they take me to court if I sale
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dade4life
    and i want to sale can they take me to court if i sale
    Hello dade:

Slow down. It's YOUR house. You can do anything you want with it, within the law. You CAN sell your house while it's rented. Nothing stops you. The new owner won't be buying the house to occupy. He'd be buying it as an investment, just like you did, and he'll inherit your lease. He might even make money at it.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2007, 08:29 AM
    What does the lease say about late payments? Most leases have a provision for late fees. If the lease has such a provision and they haven't been paying it, then you may have grounds for eviction.

But excon is right, having tenants doesn't prevent you from selling the house. It just limits the market that would be interested in it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord wants to break tenant lease [ 5 Answers ]

I need to move back into a condo that I have leased. The lease expires in September 2007. I can not wait that long to make my move. Can I legally break that lease?

What happens when landlord doesn't sign lease? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I'm in Austin, Texas. Moved into an apartment 6 weeks ago. Went through the lease with the agent, initialed and signed everything. I asked for a copy of the lease, and was told that the manager needs to sign it, and I should get it a copy in a few days. Fast forward... it's 6 weeks...

Landlord/Roommate - Breaking Lease in SC [ 11 Answers ]

I rented a room in a house on 10/15/06 from an internet roommate service. Since I have moved in (less than 10 days ago) I have received no less than 6 notes from my roommate/landlord, as well as calls on my cell phone and emails concerning 'things she wants to mention that she's noticed'. ...

Can a Landlord Break Their Own Lease? From Wisconsin [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We've been having problems with quiet enjoyment in our new apartment home. We have neighbors next door to us with a surround sound system. The repetitive base noise has made living here very difficult to enjoy. Additionally, we have adjoining porches with this neighbor. They smoke on their...

Can I break the lease? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in a one year lease on a house and I've decided to buy a home instead of rent. I'll be closing on the house that I'm buying at the end of this month and I have notified my landlord verbally but not in writing yet. He said that I would be stuck in the lease until it was up so I'll be paying my...

View more questions Search