Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swalker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Yes, it is unlawful to enter your apartment without at least a 24-hour notice unless it is an emergency.

Most of what you describe seems more like his being a jerk than his "breaking the law" (except for entering your apartment), so if it were me, I'd definately get the Attorney General on him, but also look for another place to live - unless you're in a Lease. If you are, maybe you could use the AG complaint as leverage: offer to not file if he'll release you from the Lease in writing.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with your blanket statement of the required 24 hour notice. This is simply not true in all states. There are several states that require no notice at all and then others which only require "reasonable" notice.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2006, 02:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by swalker
    i'm sorry, but i have to disagree with your blanket statement of the required 24 hour notice. this is simply not true in all states. there are several states that require no notice at all and then others which only require "reasonable" notice.
    I appreciate the input, but it was not a blanket statement. It was regarding Kentucky. This is a frequently asked question, so if you would share what states you know of that require no notice, I would like to work on adding this type of info to the sticky here. Thanks!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2006, 02:36 AM
    PS. I just double checked the KY statutes and I find I was incorrect. In Kentucky a 2-Day notice of intent to enter is required.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 25, 2006, 04:46 AM
    Rick, a listing of each state's notice requirements for entering rental property can be found at

http://realestate.findlaw.com/tenant...ry-notice.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant Laws In MS [ 3 Answers ]

My landlord wants me to sign a new lease for 1 year, but I may be accepting a new job a month from now, can I break the lease if I sign it?

Landlord Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

I have a problem with my landlord and the association and I need your assistance. The property is in North Brunswick, NJ In June, my landlord received a letter, dated June 16th, stating that I have placed some miscellaneous items (Couple of buckets and a mop stick) on the deck of my rented...

Tenant vs. Landlord, VA [ 4 Answers ]

This one is a bit complicated... any help would be greatly appreciated... I was told by a woman I was working with that she had a house I could move in to and pay her "whatever" for the moment because she was paying the mortgage and it was empty. Something is better than nothing. I moved in...

Landlord Tenant Law - Washington, DC [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a friend who rented the basement apartment of her house to a person who has not paid rent for 2 years. She does not have a Certificate of Occupancy, but can't the tenant be evicted as a squatter, without a C. of O.

View more questions Search