All,
In Washington DC, what is the worst that can happen to me if I am a hold over tenant for two or three weeks?
My lease will be up, and I have known for over a month the owners do not want to renew because they are selling the condo unit. Fair enough.
However I have had bad luck in finding a replacement apartment. The rental market is thin. I finally have found one which is on hold except will not be available to me until two or three weeks AFTER my lease ends.
My rent is paid in full for the final month of my current apartment plus the owners have one months rent security deposit of mine.
The owners insist the painters will come the day after my lease ends which I have nicely asked them to please reschedule. No response.
I am not cheating them, have not done any damage, and doing everything I can to vacate but I find the owners to be not nice people.
What is the worst that can happen to me?
Thank you.