Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hunnybee_420 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Courtesy Letter About First Time Home Buyer Credit
    1. I received my first time homebuyer tax credit for 2009 in good time in early 2010 no problem and just the other day I received a letter that said it was a courtesy letter and listed the restrictions behind the credit and I was just curious if that is a letter everyone receives or should I be worried about it?

2. If I was to want to rent out a room in my house but still keep it as my primary residence also, just get some help with the bills while helping a friend does that infringe upon the restrictions of not renting the house?? Because it is just one room and I would still live here too??

Please answer both inquiries to the best of knowledge, I've just spent a hour searching to find no conclusive answers!! Thanks :D
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 02:06 PM
    Do NOT worry about the letter; it is just an administrative letter sent to you by the IRS to ensure you understand the restrictions.

Do NOT worry about renting one room. Because it is NOT a separate building, the IRS does NOT track such room rentings as rental property, so you will not even have to report the rental income on your tax return.
    Hunnybee_420 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 02:10 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Thank you I feel a lot better :D
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First time home buyer credit and Home mortgage in India [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in H1b. In 2008 tax return , I claimed my Indian mortgage interest. I bought a home in US in 2009 and claimed first time home buyer credit. But IRS said I'm ineligible to get my first time home buyer credit since last year I claimed home mortgage interest detection. Can I say IRS , the...

First time home buyer tax credit (Own home in foreign) [ 2 Answers ]

I am on an H1B visa and have been working in the US for 4+ years. I purchased a condo in India 2 yrs ago (2007) and got a mortgage (through a bank in India). I make a monthly mortgage payment out of my salary here (I have no other income) to this bank in India. On advice of my tax filers, Last...

Itin for first time home buyer credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! First, I want to thank you for your help. I have ITIN and would like to purchase a home and pay with cash. Never own a home. Do I qualify for 8K, first time home buyer. Thanks

First Time Home Buyer Credit J2 visa [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My husband (who is on a 5 year J1 visa) and me (J2, with EAD, employed by a US company) bought a house last year. I had been filling taxes in the past as resident alien (2005 and 2008), non-resident alien (2006 and some years before 2000), based on the substantial presence test, and I can also...

First time home buyer credit? [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to post this question because I have been trying to research it on other sites and thought someone could help me well I need to know is the first time home buyers credit apart from your regular return?is it money that they send you or just a credit to your gross income?

View more questions Search