Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wmcdonnell Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Why are these readings and not 110?
    I have taken the experts advice and borrowed a digital multimeter. I tested the red wires and they read 54.9, the 2 white with the black wire was 0 and the 2 black were 54.9. So with having 2, 3 way switches, if I connect the blue to the black which is the light and the black to the red, and the white to the white should I be able to work it like this ?

Aug 29, 2006, 08:59 AM
    I'm a mess now
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 09:13 AM
    You should be testing between black and ground. Red and ground. If you're testing across two wires of the same color it's not surprising you'd get a reading other than 120vAC.

Aug 29, 2006, 10:34 AM
    I checked all the colors and kept the multimeter black on the green and the only wire that gave a reading was the black wire. Does this mean that out of all the wires up there only the black has power? If so, will the blue and the black wire from the ceiling fan be connected to the black ceiling wire?
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 11:37 AM
    This is the way it should be. Keep your multimeter lead on that black wire, and put the other lead on each of the white wires. When you find the combination that gives power, those are your two power wires. The other black and white are for the switch. Mark them as such, and mark the white switch wire with black tape.. You will connect:

The power black to ONE of the switch wires.

The black and blue from the fan to the OTHER switch wire.

The white from the fan to the power white

All grounds together.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php

Aug 29, 2006, 01:11 PM
    You will not believe it. Both of the white wires showed power when I put the black lead on them. The one group of white wires is 3 white with a black with them and these are soldered together. This is the same way with the black wires, they are soldered. There was no power to the red. This is crap. Why can't it be simpler?

Aug 29, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Wouls it help if I sent you a picture of the wires from the switches and the ceiling wires?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonnell
    You will not believe it. Both of the white wires showed power when I put the black lead on them. The one group of white wires is 3 white with a black with them and these are soldered together. This is the same way with the black wires, they are soldered. There was no power to the red. This is crap. Why can't it be simpler?
    OK.

Take a deep breath. There are two things you have not responded to.

1) this is a biggie. Are all the wires as they were when you took apart the fixture. Because if they are, you are driving yourself mad for no good reason.

2) you say there are two whites joined to a black. OK. Those are hot whites. this is not abnormal. But you never responded whether one of the whites never left the box. As in it was just a wire from the piggyback to the fixture. Please look and see if this is the case.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 06:06 PM
    I'm sorry, I think I might have been mixing your question up with someone else's, since you posted in so many places. My multimeter suggestion and the wiring directions above were for the person with the switch loop.

Aug 29, 2006, 06:51 PM
    No problem! I told my wife that I could take care of this and we wouldn't have to pay the money out like last time. The kids school clothes and fees killed me this year. So, I'm trying my best to do this with the help of the experts :) Have a great night, I'm off to bed.

Aug 30, 2006, 11:27 AM
    I have great pictures of the box and wiring now
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Sending the pictures would be a great help.

Also, can you start over with your explanation of how you are testing, and the condition of each wire or groups of wires?

I honestly am having a terrible time trying to follow the wires and the test results, you seem to be bouncing around.

To start , besure the meter is set to measure 120 volts AC. Attaché one lead to the green, and use the other to test each wire, or groups of wires.

One important question, which of the wires in the ceiling were the fixture wires connected to? This will help.

You should not be getting any reading like 50 volts as reported.

I suspect this box has the two three wire cables the spice in between the two 3 way switches.

We need to find the neutral ( zero volts to ground, or green), and one wire that is hot, measuring 120 volts across these two wires.

I also suspect there is a chance that the neutral is switched instead of the hot. Testing the wires will confirm this. Also, when testing each wire or group of fixtures, note the position of the two 3 way switches, after each test of wires and noting that result, throw one of the switches, and re-test the wire you just tested.

WIth the pictures, and a list of the results of the testing we should be able to you through this.

Aug 31, 2006, 12:49 PM
    How can you tell if the downstairs switch is bad? I sure don't have a clue by this digital multimeter. It gives all sorts of numbers no matter where I put the red and black probes!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2006, 01:27 PM
    You may need to send a picture of the meter also. Have you read the instructions? You need to have the meter set to measure 120 volts AC.

Hold one probe to the ground and the other to the wire you want to test. If voltage is there should be 120 volts+/-. After testing a wire or terminal on the switch, throw the switch to the other position.

Another method to check if the switch is good is to use the ohm or continuity setting on the meter. To do this the switch must be completely disconnected from the wiring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psychic readings [ 80 Answers ]

Psychic,tarot,and love readings by maria One reading will convince you that I am the psychic you have been looking for. Contact me now for advice and answers in all areas of life of such as love,marriage,career,health,family,etc.thank you and godbless

View more questions Search