Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Couchcarrot Posts: 590, Reputation: 41

Sep 4, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Ghastly Dream
    Two night ago, I dreamed that I was helping an obviously decaying corpse
    Into the back seat of a patrol unit. (I'm am retired from law enforcement).

This corpse was missing some of his body, and oozing slime, and I was
    Worried (in the dream) that I was not making him comfortable enough
    While seating him in the car. I know this dream doesn't make much
    Sense, but I haven't had any other nightmares about the job since retiring.

What could it mean? I retired eight years ago.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Hmmm, maybe repressed memories about a person who you met on the job who has now passed away and you feel that you could have done more for while they were still alive, and hence in your dream your trying to make it up to them by treating their corpse nicely.
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Sep 4, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Don't feel bad. That dream would have creeped me out, too! (And just between you and me, that's saying something--I have a lot of out there dreams).

If you aren't having other disturbing dreams, this one may just be random neuron firing. Some insignificant thing that you barely noticed awake--the look of a restaurant, a sound, a smell--may have triggered something. Of course, if you now try not to worry that you'll have dreams like that again, then you will. Because, of course, "trying not to worry" is the same thing as pushing the thing you are worrying about down into your subconscious, which is where your dreammaker lives. The idea of the "dreammaker" is one of the few things Freud said that I think actually holds water--it's a little sausage grinder inside your head, and anything that happens to fall into it gets chopped up, twisted around with a bunch of personal and/or cultural (or universal archetypal) symbolism, and produced as a dream. Anything and everything can fall into the dreammaker, be it fleeting impressions of the day, things you read or see on television, distant memories, archetypes that we all carry around in us, and psychic impressions. In particular, whatever doesn't get picked up and dealt with by your conscious, rational, waking mind is left overs that the dreammaker gobbles up, like a faithful Labrador who's only too eager to eat whatever you leave on your plate.

So it can be pretty hard to find an interpretation for one isolated dream. I like what Albear came up with. Imagine a dial, where we can set how literal of an interpretation to give the dream. If we start with Albear's interpretation at say, level 5 of literalism, we can dial up the interpretation to something very literal: Perhaps you actually encountered a decaying corpse in your career, or helped in the investigation of a missing person who was never found. Or you tried to save someone but couldn't, and have always regretted that you weren't able to help in that case.

Or we can dial it down to something less literal, where the corpse is simply emotional "baggage" that you are carrying, that may have nothing to do with your career, but you feel you should put it to rest in some way. I find it interesting that in the dream you weren't worried about getting your prowl car messy (I recall from a certain Mythbusters episode that dead bodies aren't good for a car's resale value), but rather about making the corpse comfortable. On some level, the corpse was still alive, conscious. At least, it was alive for you. Not dead and buried. Not to mention you were being rather noble and selfless, worrying about the corpse instead of yourself. Just as we would expect a good police officer to be. Not everyone would have had that reaction. Kudos to you.

It is entirely possible that this skeleton came out of someone else's closet, rather than your own. It may not be something from your past nagging you. Maybe it's something from the past of someone close to you that is nagging him or her, but you just picked up on it in conversation.

It is even possible that this is a real ghost, a deceased person who was having trouble getting to the place he or she needed to be. Very kind of you to give the poor soul a lift. Maybe your kindness was all it needed to be on its way. Now, ordinarily, you wouldn't have that sort of interaction with a ghost unless it was strong enough and clever enough to break into your reality (and most ghosts don't have the strength or brains to tie their own shoes), or unless you are the sort of psychic/intuitive person who is able to access its reality. However, the dreamworlds are tricky places, and even someone who ordinarily lives solidly in the ordinary state of consciousness might occasionally wander into some of the more interesting areas of our universe on an off night.

Ultimately, just take a deep breath when going to bed tonight and tell your brain thank you for the interesting dream, and that you trust it that whatever it needed to work out was successfully worked out, and your oozy friend is now properly and respectfully buried in holy ground and is resting comfortably and at peace. And tell your brain that if it has something more to tell you on the subject, you trust it to do it and you will be a good listener.

Blessings.

Alder

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why did I dream this horrible dream? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know whether I should've posted this under philosophy, but I couldn't find anything closer to the subject "dreams". Anyway... Last night, I had a horrible dream and I don't know why. I dreamed this tall, skinny white man was chasing me trying to kill me. My dream jumped from 3 different...

A dream! [ 2 Answers ]

I had a crush on this guy which I have not seen in a couple of months. At the time he was dating this girl back and forth for about 10 years. In the dream I had that his mom told me He broke up with his girlfriend. She told me also not to tell him. What does this dream mean.. Thank you

A dream! [ 1 Answers ]

I had a crush on someone which I have not seen in a couple of months. At the time he was dating someone he had gone back and forth with. I had dream that I was talking to his mom and she told me that he broke up with his girlfriend but not to tell him that she told me.What does this mean. Did he...

Another Dream. [ 2 Answers ]

~ In my dream, "Lyndsay Lohan" and I came across a public pool party (in New york City maybe?) and she had her suit under her clothes but I didn't have mine. So I went into a hotel thinking maybe they had one in my size in their lost and found, the guy there was no help so I somehow figured out...

What does this dream mean? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know if this is the right topic or not, but I'm wondering about a dream. I had a dream last night that every time I looked at my arm I could see my veins VERY clearly, but they were really red, not blue.There was also a lump under my skin that looked like a big clove of garlic on the...

View more questions Search