Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ekiefer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2013, 07:23 PM
    I don't know if my girlfriend is pregnant or not
    OK so my girlfriend and I had sex for the first time on Tuesday the 13th. She experienced heavy bleeding for a few days after and was spotting this past weekend. (I assume because it was her first time) but as of about two days ago she started feeling dizzy, has a headache and is cramping pretty good. She's doesn't have tender breasts though. We've been so scared that she is pregnant, and we just aren't ready for it. But I looked up her birth control pill "loestrin 24" and the symptoms are nausea, vomiting, headache, vaginal discomfort, increased vaginal fluids, breast tenderness, and vaginal bleeding between periods (spotting). She's been on it for six months or so but is finishing off the pills she has left to start a new one. I just need an opinion whether were just experiencing either side affects of other things, false pregnancy, or if she is actually pregnant.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 07:27 PM
    No form of birth control is 100% effective... so the possibility is always there when you have sex.

If her next period is two weeks late.. then its time to take a HPT... if she gets her regular period before then you can assume she likely isn't.
    LULU42 Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Aug 28, 2013, 07:31 PM
    If she is on birth control its unlikely she is pregnant; however it is possible. You had sex on the 13th so its been long enough that she could take a pregnancy test that's really the only way to find out for sure. Remember to have her use first mornings urine to get the most accurate result.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2013, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LULU42 View Post
    If she is on birth control its unlikely she is pregnant; however it is possible. You had sex on the 13th so its been long enough that she could take a pregnancy test that's really the only way to find out for sure. Remember to have her use first mornings urine to get the most accurate result.
    Its not soon enough... you have to be 14 days late for your period before you can expect accurate results.. its only been 15 days since they had sex... conception could have occurred days after that if she in fact is.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2013, 11:52 PM
    At two weeks after sex, there are no signs of pregnancy, the signs will hit maybe two months after sex.

You and her just have to wait, wait to see if she misses her next period or not, and if she does miss it, wait till she is 2 weeks late to test.

Sep 4, 2013, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Its not soon enough....you have to be 14 days late for your period before you can expect accurate results..its only been 15 days since they had sex...conception could have occurred days after that if she in fact is.
    Actually you can test 14 days after ovulation. So 14 days after sex if she was ovulating when you had sex. A woman's body starts producing hcg one week after fertilization; however the levels may be low if you only wait 14 days but most home pregnancy tests will detect the hormone this early. The amount of hcg then doubles every 72 hours so if she takes a test now and it comes back Neg. wait a week and have her take another.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2013, 05:17 PM
    Actually you can test 14 days after ovulation. So 14 days after sex if she was ovulating when you had sex. A woman's body starts producing hcg one week after fertilization; however the levels may be low if you only wait 14 days but most home pregnancy tests will detect the hormone this early. The amount of hcg then doubles every 72 hours so if she takes a test now and it comes back Neg. wait a week and have her take another.
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. There are some women that get an accurate result as early as you mentioned, but they are by far not the norm. The majority of women will get an accurate result when their period is at least 2 weeks late. Then there are women that get a false negative until well into their second trimester.

It's best to wait until your period is at the very least 2 weeks late for an accurate test. Even then, a false negative is possible.

Sep 4, 2013, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. There are some women that get an accurate result as early as you mentioned, but they are by far not the norm. The majority of women will get an accurate result when their period is at least 2 weeks late. Then there are women that get a false negative until well into their second trimester.

It's best to wait until your period is at the very least 2 weeks late for an accurate test. Even then, a false negative is possible.
    I found out I was pregnant two weeks after conception with both of my children and I did some research before I responded I don't want to argue about it but maybe look into it a little. A lot of women get a + this early. And I know a lot also get Neg. that is why I suggested waiting and taking another test if she gets a Neg.
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2013, 05:32 PM
    I found out I was prego two weeks after conception with both of my children and I did some research before I responded I don't want to argue about it but maybe look into it a little.
    I found out I was pregnant 4 days after I missed my period, with all 3 of my pregnancies. But I found out that I'm not the norm.

I have looked into it, more than a little bit. I never said it wasn't possible for you to get a positive result 2 weeks after conception, but you are by far not the norm. In fact, you're a very small percentage of the population.

I suggest you continue your research, the advice you're giving now can confuse a lot of people on this site. We get mostly teens coming her asking if they're pregnant, and people that really have no idea how pregnancy works. If they test too soon and get a negative, they assume that means they're not pregnant. It's best to advise them to test when the majority of the population gets a reliable outcome.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2013, 05:32 PM
    I found out I was prego two weeks after conception with both of my children and I did some research before I responded I don't want to argue about it but maybe look into it a little.
    I don't know what research you have done, but many of us HAVE researched it. Sites like this Pregnancy tests fact sheet | womenshealth.gov
    Tell us that the first true sign of pregnancy is a missed period. That testing is most accurate about 2 weeks after you miss a period. While there may be anomalies and women who's bodies don't follow the norm, they are very much the exception. So giving advice like you have is inaccurate and irresponsible. We pride ourselves on the accuracy of the advice given here. Please be more careful with your advice.

Sep 4, 2013, 05:46 PM
    I am not basing my advise only on research I have done on the internet. Look like I said I am not trying to argue with anyone I am giving my opinion based on things I that I have learned in my personal life and in medical courses. And the fact is that women can sometimes get a positive test result as early as 14 days after ovulation. And sometimes they don't that is why I suggested taking another test if she gets a negative. Hopefully anyone who writes here knows that we obviously are only giving our opinion and that they should seek actual medical advise from a professional for an actual diagnoses.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2013, 06:33 PM
    I am not basing my advise only on research I have done on the internet. Look like I said I am not trying to argue with anyone I am giving my opinion based on things I that I have learned in my personal life and in medical courses. And the fact is that women can sometimes get a positive test result as early as 14 days after ovulation. And sometimes they don't that is why I suggested taking another test if she gets a negative. Hopefully anyone who writes here knows that we obviously are only giving our opinion and that they should seek actual medical advise from a professional for an actual diagnoses.
    And that's the problem. With questions about health and medicine, opinions are not what is required. Facts are what is required. There are boards here where opinion is the only answer and there are boards where facts are required.

The fact is that while some women can test positive so soon, they are a very small part of the population, less than 10%. So giving such advice is neither helpful or accurate.
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2013, 06:50 PM
    We have an OB nurse on this site, and I know for a fact that she agrees that you should wait until your period is at least 2 weeks late before testing. Also, I have a friend that just graduated from medical school, and he also agrees with that advice.

In this post you said:

And the fact is that women can sometimes get a positive test result as early as 14 days after ovulation
    And sometimes they don't
    Sometimes isn't the majority. When you post here it's not opinion, it's fact. There are opinion based forums, but this isn't one of them. If you cannot post the facts, than please refrain from posting.

Like I said, I tested when I was 4 days late with each of my 3 pregnancies, and got an accurate positive outcome. But I am by far not the norm, not the majority. We cannot base our posts on a very small percentage of women, we have to base it on the largest group of women, and the majority will not get an accurate test until 2 weeks after a missed period, sometimes even later.

People don't post on the medical forum for opinion, they want factual advice, not a story about what happened to you.

I hope you understand.
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2013, 07:22 PM
    No one on this site is trying to one up you. Not a single person. Our only concern is that the correct information is posted on this site, and the fact is, the information you posted is only valid to a very small percentage of women wanting to know if they're pregnant. Look on this site alone and you'll see.

Pregnancy test manufacturers are in the business of selling the product they make. They claim that women can test before they even miss a period. Talk to the majority of women that take these test before a missed period, that are indeed pregnant, and almost all of them will tell you that they got a false negative with that first test.

The people that come here asking if they're pregnant, most of them ask here because they can't afford to test. They definitely can't afford to start testing 2 weeks after sex, and then continue testing for many weeks after, and the fact is, the majority of them will not get an accurate result until 2 weeks after they miss their period. Many more will not even get an accurate result at that time.

You're talking about a very small percentage of the population, and that's why your advice is not helpful, or accurate.

Unless you're willing to pay for the tests starting 2 weeks after sex, and continuing for many weeks after, you may want to base your advice on the majority of the population.

The advice you're giving, is not accurate. I'm sorry that you can't understand that, and I'm done discussing it on this thread. If you wish to discuss it further, feel free to start your own thread in the discussion forum. There you can state your opinion, and ask for other opinions. But here we're continuing to hijack this thread with a discussion that should have ended right after you were asked to post facts, not opinion.

By all means, prove your case if you believe that strongly in it, but start a new thread to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My pregnant girlfriend broke up with me, and I don't know what to do? [ 8 Answers ]

We've been together for quite a while now. We only recently in November moved in together and she's now 3 months pregnant. We argued most days but wasn't all day over silly things. She broke up with me 4 weeks ago and said she just didn't have the same feelings for me anymore. I love her and...

I don't want to father some other man's kid but I don't want to leave my girlfriend [ 24 Answers ]

Me and my girl have been dating for five weeks, and yesterday she found out that she is pregnant, I am 18 the father is 17 and she is 16, she can't have the kid, I can't be a father this soon I want to be one but just not now, she can't throw away her future, and the father no matter how bad this...

My ex pregnant girlfriend as left me and I don't know what to do [ 6 Answers ]

HI my ex pregnant girlfriend left me and I don't know why she was in a relationship which was all but over when we met to get to the point I am devastated it feels like I was used just so she could get pregnant she has two children from ex and this one now could be her last because of the ceserians...

View more questions Search