Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Martin Ellis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Curved force?
    Simple question and a current argument between myself and a friend.

I say a curved path of an object be it parrabola trajectory or spinning object around central point consists of several forces that sum to make a resultant path which may be circular, orbital or paraobolic trajectory.

My friend states that we can have a quantifiable force which is curved...

That is to say that it has a change of direction which is not a straight line.. independent of time and rate of change.

Does anyone know if a curved force is possible?
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Dec 7, 2006, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ellis
    independant of time and rate of change.
    How would that be possible? Wouldn't it have to obey the laws of the universe. I would have to agree with you. But, to be frank, I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 12:43 AM
    Vector fields are similar to what you are talking about, they have a certain force at every point in a 3d space, this can make an object move in a curved path easily.

But we don't think about them as a curved force along the path, because it's easier to think in straight lines
    And easier to quantify straight lines.

There is no need to think in curved forces if you can split a curve into its linear and derivative components.

Hope this made a little sense :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 12:56 AM
    You have to understand that force is a human construct in order to understand things, just like math, it may not work like that in the real working of things at all :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

Force & acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

What force is required to accelerted a lawnmower of mass 12kg to 4.5km/h from rest in 3.0s (neglecting friction)

Curved penis [ 5 Answers ]

May I know if wearing boxers or positioning your penis upward (when not erected) would help your penis be "straight" because my penis curves downward (erect) and I wear briefs. I think wearing briefs is my reason why my penis curves downward because when I've got an erection, it prevents/blocks my...

Centrifugal force [ 6 Answers ]

Why is centrifugal force called pseudoforce?

View more questions Search