Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sams721 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Lie detector test or no
    OK this question for all the woman men feel free to give advice too but I mostly want woman that are married or about to be married ladies would you agree before two people get married that it would be appropriate to ask your boyfriend/girlfriend to get a lie detector test for the both of you before the both of you get married
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:31 AM

What? Why? Don't you trust your significant other? By "making" them get a lie detector test you are saying that you don't trust their answers - or them.

Nope.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 17, 2008, 07:39 AM

Absolutely NOT! If you are married, or are starting a marriage with a lie detector test, you have got more problems than you realize!

Dec 17, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick View Post
    What?? Why? Don't you trust your significant other? By "making" them get a lie detector test you are saying that you don't trust their answers - or them.

Nope.
    No no you misunderstood the question would you agree that 2 people that are about to get married both the man and the woman (both ) get a lie detector test bofore they get married
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:42 AM

No... there is no point if you have mutual trust.

Introducing the concept of lie detectors damages the mutual trust.

Still nope.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 07:45 AM

If you need a lie detector, you don't need them!!
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:48 AM

You sound like you are Greg's father in law from "Meet the Fockers." You, know, the ex CIA guy that doesn't trust anyone. If you cannot trust each other without a lie detector, then you probably shouldn't be getting married. Just my opinion.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 07:50 AM
    As a married woman of 17 years, no I don't agree that both parties should get a lie detector test. Trust is a must in a relationship. Asking for lie detector tests clearly shows a lack of trust. If my husband asked me to take a lie detector test prior to our marriage, with the understanding he would take one too, I would have told him to hit the road and never look back.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:54 AM

No, I don't agree with this at all. Most people get married after knowing their S/O for at least a year. So you are telling me, that after a year of "trusting" them with your heart you are then going to risk it all by asking them to take a lie detector? Man, if I did that my fiancé would kick me where the sun don't shine.

I can picture the conversation now.

Rome: Honey, I know we're about to get married and I've known you for a few years. Well, I would like you to get a lie detector test.
    Rome's girl: ::Kicks Rome in the b@lls:: There, did you detect that!

I'll take "Trusting my spouse for $500" Alec

Dec 17, 2008, 08:00 AM

OK to be honest I thought that's what everyone would say but with this woman she is pregnant with my child but deep down I question that because of other issues so what should I do so I can get my piece of my mind I don't know what to do cause it messing my mind up but thank you for all for your help and you all got a point it just keeps tearing at my mind
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:01 AM

Clearly you have some issues to work on with her. I wouldn't get married until these issues are resolved. A paternity test perhaps... you can't expect to live happily ever after with her if this is your foundation to build on.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 17, 2008, 08:12 AM

I don't think you are ready to get married yet. It will almost certainly end up in divorce if you marry her with these concerns on your mind. I would get some marital counselling before even considering walking down the aisle, or the marriage will be over before it even began.

Dec 17, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kctiger View Post
    Clearly you have some issues to work on with her. I wouldn't get married until these issues are resolved. A maternity test perhaps...you can't expect to live happily ever after with her if this is your foundation to build on.
    That's tru but how would I ask for a maternity test I mean wouldn't a woman get offended with that question as well
    mzron08 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 08:14 AM

I would'nt feel right asking my fiancé or boyfriend to take a lie detector test unless he's done something to make me think he's lying about something and if that were so were not ready to get married because I would'nt won't to go into a marriage with those type of doubts
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 08:15 AM
    You ask for a PATERNITY test, not a maternity test. Sure, she's going to get upset, but it's the rest of your life you are talking about. If you believe there is a possibility of this child not being yours, even a remote possibility, it is your responsibility to make sure this child is yours before paying out the ear for child support.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 17, 2008, 08:16 AM

I believe you both mean a paternity test. If you get married and then ask for a paternity test afterwards, before getting relationship counseling, you may as well just save up your money now, and either be prepared to pay child support, or go on that honeymoon by yourself with the money you've saved, if it turns out not to be your child.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:17 AM

That really shows a lack of trust and love. If you have to resort to a lie detector test then you might as well just break up!
    If it is a question of your fathering a baby then YES go for a paternity test. You should not have to be responsible to pay for a baby for 18+ yrs that may not be yours.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:22 AM

I don't get it. When it was a lie detector test (famously unreliable, by the way), everybody was against it. But now that it's a paternity test that tests the woman's fidelity, everybody here is all for it.

Is trust important or not? Why is trust out the window in this situation?
    He doesn't trust her. Period. He shouldn't marry her.

I absolutely wouldn't not marry a man who asked for a paternity test.

They should not get married.

If he's not the father, he won't have to pay child support. I'm guessing he is the father and will have to pay. But that's life.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:28 AM

Asking, if he signs the birth certificate then he is acknowledging that he is the father and will have to pay child support until he goes to court, and then gets a paternity test to prove he isn't the father. That's a whole legal mess and will cost a lot of money and he might not even get the child support he paid back.

I already agree he shouldn't get married, if you read his other post he is very unsure about her fidelity as it is, and now that she is pregnant, it's only going to complicate things further. This whole relationship is flawed beyond, what I can see, any hope of continuing healthy.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:28 AM

Because if the baby is not his why should he have to pay child support for 18 years or more?
    He signs the birth certificate... she dumps him or visa versa and HE is STILL stuck having to pay for a baby that isn't even his. Even if it is not his some states still make you keep paying simply because you signed the birth certificate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Positive home test,inconclusive docs test [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, can anyone tell me if this has happened to them, I've already had a miscarriage and a stillbirth so I'm very worried, I done a home pregnancy test and it came back posative, 2 days later I handed a sample of urine into the docs, theyphoned me to say I would need to hand in another in 7...

EtG test (80 hour Alcohol test) - Drink Friday will it be there on Tuesday/Wednesday? [ 21 Answers ]

I drank a few pitchers and a couple shots on Friday. I will either have to test on Tuesday or Wednesday. Wednesday is a must, but I could get called for random on Tuesday!? :confused: :eek:

Late period, 1 negative test 1 positive test [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 6 months. Previously I lost a baby at 7 months pregnant... looong story... anyway I conceived last time on Clomid. I began Clomid again last month. I am a day late, I took 1 test Sunday (2 days before missed period) it was a faint...

Test Device 2 Test Inside Wiring w/o Phone [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a small (max 5cmX5cmx5cm), inexpensive test device or card on the market that I can use to test my phone line at the NID without using a telephone? This is important as I have a cordless.

Negative pregnant test and blood test. Could I still be pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

I had an ectopic pregnancy in October 2006, and have been trying to conceive since January 07, I am 1week late for my period and have had many signs of pregnancy, including spotting a week before my period was due, since then I have had 5 negative home pregnancy tests, and a hcg level of below 1.5...

View more questions Search