Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emk8t Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Help! Monitor is UPSIDE down!
    How did this happen? OK, I have a compaq presario computer with Windows XP. Today, out of the blue, I turned on my compter, and the "compaq presario" screen is OK, and the "windows XP" screen is OK. Then, when the "welcome" screen comes up just prior to the desktop screen, it is upside down. The desktop is upside down too... and everything else too. I turned my monitor upside down in order to use my computer. Everything else is working fine. I don't think it is a monitor issue, because the first 2 screens are fine until XP loads. What's up with THIS? I'm lost...

Thanks for help:)
    popot202 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 06:45 PM
    It happen also to me once. Try to see your arrow key buttons. Try to press the first button together with the right arrow key,see if the screen rotates.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jun 4, 2006, 08:51 PM
    Chances are you have the Intel Extreme Graphics card. Try this:

- Right Click on your desktop
    - Choose Properties
    - Click on the Settings tab
    - Click Advanced
    - Click on Intel Extreme Graphics tab
    - Click on Graphics Properties
    - Click Display Settings
    - UNCHECK "Enable Rotation"
    - Click Apply

This should do it.
    layline Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2006, 08:01 AM
    I haven't had a chance to try this on xp but I know in 2000 if you sign in and once your at your desktop if you hold down control and alt then hit an arrow key (most likely up) it may rotate your screen keep trying dif arrows till your screen goes right side up.

Jun 5, 2006, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by layline
    i haven't had a chance to try this on xp but i know in 2000 if you sign in and once your at your desktop if you hold down control and alt then hit an arrow key (most likely up) it may rotate your screen keep trying dif arrows till your screen goes right side up.
    I looked fairly quickly at my XP setup and didn't see any shortcuts (doesn't mean there aren't any) but definitely do try those. Also, if you know the make of your video card and it isn't the same as the Intel Extreme Graphics card then follow the instructions as I outlined above up to "- Click on Intel Extreme Graphics tab". You'll need to click on your card. Then you'll basically have to navigate your way to your card's specific capabilities to turn off Rotation or adjust to your liking.

This one actually drove me nuts for a while as well and I think my kids pushed the magical kid-key and turned the monitor screen upside down. So I disabled it all together.

Casey
    layline Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2006, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cajalat
    I looked fairly quickly at my XP setup and didn't see any shortcuts (doesn't mean there aren't any) but definitely do try those. Also, if you know the make of your video card and it isn't the same as the Intel Extreme Graphics card then follow the instructions as I outlined above up to "- Click on Intel Extreme Graphics tab". You'll need to click on your card. Then you'll basically have to navigate your way to your card's specific capabilities to turn off Rotation or adjust to your liking.

This one actually drove me nuts for a while as well and I think my kids pushed the magical kid-key and turned the monitor screen upside down. So I disabled it all together.

Casey
    Blah just one more reason why I hate these intel ext graph cards. I can understand the whole magic button thing, we found the above mentioned fix (cntrl alt arrow) from having to deal with 200 under high school grade students playing tricks on each other but I never thought it would be an option in the graphics card (on by default I might add) that was the culprit. Glad I took a look at this thread now I can tick off all our pranksters in one fell swoop :)
    emk8t Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2006, 06:45 PM
    LOL, Casey, I guess I didn't mention while I was trying to sleep in (ie, past 7am) on Saturday, my 6 year old son tried to load his "Tonka Space Station" game on my computer... and he inadvertently found the "magic rotating kid button too." Funny thing is, if for-whatever-reason I wanted to rotate my screen 180 degrees there is no way I would have been able to figure it out. My kindergartener figures it out in 2 minutes. Funny how that works. I guess it was worth the extra 15 minutes of shut eye... Thanks again for helping me fix it. :)

Jun 5, 2006, 06:54 PM
    :) Glad to hear it worked for you.
    parrisv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emk8t
    How did this happen?? OK, I have a compaq presario computer with Windows XP. Today, out of the blue, I turned on my compter, and the "compaq presario" screen is OK, and the "windows XP" screen is OK. Then, when the "welcome" screen comes up just prior to the desktop screen, it is upside down. The desktop is upside down too...and everything else too. I turned my monitor upside down in order to use my computer. Everything else is working fine. I don't think it is a monitor issue, because the first 2 screens are fine until XP loads. What's up with THIS?? I'm lost....

Thanks for help:)
    Best regards
    Glenna McVey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Hi, I am Glenna McVey and my desktop screen is upside down. I am new to this site and looking forward to the help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

Monitor diplay upside down [ 2 Answers ]

Why is my monitor diplay upside down how can I correct it

Monitor? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it my moniter or my video card that not working when I play a game called medevil total war. I get the main screen and the trailer but when I play the game the maps show up white and my men show up as orange and in blocks Can anyone answer my question please.

Movie print is upside down... [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Friends, I am having a problem with the movie I have downloaded. This movie print is totally reverse from the way we usually look, i.e. upside down. Is there any software which can facilitate the way to watch the movie? I want to know about any software which gives the rotation...

Monitor [ 1 Answers ]

I need a service manual or schematic for a CTX color monitor Model VL500. FCC ID DBL1569S. By CTX International, Inc. Help please! Roy Randall Randall Electronics

View more questions Search