Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Slow-Motion Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 09:15 PM
    PCOS, Metformin & Trying to conceive.
    Soo... I found a new doctor set up an appointment and asked him about PCOS...

I told him that I was Trying to conceive and what all was going on... I asked to have my hormone levels checked, he told me that based on my history there was no need in running any test he knew that I had PCOS.

He prescribed Metformin 500mg

He also put me on Ortho Tri Cyclen... (I was all ready on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo)

I asked him if he heard me say that I was Trying to conceive... He laughed and said yes, just take this for a few months and come back to me when you are really ready to conceive... What did he mean by that?

I do have a question it seems like I'm just telling a story lol sorry...

*When put on Metformin and your not diabetic will it cause it in the long run?

*When on Metformin how long should it take to start getting your cycles under control so that you and safely conceive?

*What is the point of raising my level of birth control if I'm Trying to conceive, why not stop it completely?
    hezachan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 07:06 PM

Metformin will not cause you to become diabetic; it will not affect your body's ability to regulate insulin.

Metformin will take several months to regulate cycles if it ends up working. My doctor put me on it and asked me to come back in two months if I had not yet conceived.

I've heard the point of going on higher dose birth control for a while is that there are some studies that show that you have a greater chance of conceiving in the several months after going off highly regulated birth control because your body gets accustomed to a regulated hormone level which will help you conceive if you have pcos.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have pcos? [ 7 Answers ]

I think I may have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)! I have never been checked for it but I seem to have a lot of the symptoms! # infrequent menstrual periods, no menstrual periods, and/or irregular bleeding # infertility (not able to get pregnant) because of not ovulating (not sure about...

Metformin and pcos [ 4 Answers ]

Its been awhile since I've been on, Never the less I have more questions, I have read up on women taking metformin for pcos, but now its my turn, and I don't really know what to expect... I had a large ovarian cyst rupture and got to spend the day in the hospital. Now my doctors have decided to...

Pcos [ 6 Answers ]

I had a blood test for poly cystic ovary syndrome a couple of years ago and it came back negative. Now I've got a really bad and embarrassing problem with hair growing on my chin and stuff and I'm only 19 is it possible that I could have developed pcos since the last time I was tested?

I have pcos [ 2 Answers ]

I Have PCOS Can I still get pregnant?and if I can't what is the cheapist fertility drug and can my obgyn give me a prescription for firtility drugs?

View more questions Search