Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daniella4087 Posts: 55, Reputation: 0

Jun 18, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Ovulation and pregnancy
    Hi... I heard that you only ovulate 4 days out of the month... so is it 100% impossibe that you can't get pregnant on any other day of the month or if not then what's the percentage of the possibility??
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Actually, once you ovulate your egg is only viable for fertilization for up to 24 hours. Now, sperm can live inside your body for up to 5 days, meaning that you can have sex 5 days prior to ovulation and still become pregnant.

Now, there is never a 100% chance that you won't get pregnant if you are not ovulating.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Just to add to what J_9 said, you can't always rely on when you will ovulate either. Many women will ovulate on a regular basis... roughly 12-16 days before their next period is due... and this can be helpful for those who are trying to become pregnant. But many women will naturally ovulate sooner or later than this time and, once in awhile, you may ovulate off what is normal for you. For example a woman who may normally ovulate about day 15 of each cycle, might one month happen to ovulate on day 10 instead... inwhich case if she waits to have sex on day 15, trying to hit the mark, she would be too late. You will only become pregnant if sperm are present when you ovulate... and while you may be fertile for several days (meaning sperm can remain alive and waiting only during this time), you only ovulate one day. The rest of your cycle the sperm will die off fairly quickly.
    This is why it can take perfectly healthy couples many months to become pregnant as it really is a small window of time each cycle and timing is only one aspect involved... although a very important one. Frustrating when you are trying and it seems others become pregnant very quickly.

Jun 19, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Actually, once you ovulate your egg is only viable for fertilization for up to 24 hours. Now, sperm can live inside your body for up to 5 days, meaning that you can have sex 5 days prior to ovulation and still become pregnant.

Now, there is never a 100% chance that you won't get pregnant if you are not ovulating.

OK... there is this kit you can buy at any grocery store or pharmacy that can tell you which days you are ovuating so if I avoid the days that I'm ovulating I will still be able to get pregnant?. like say my ovulation day is on Monday... if I were to have un protected sex Tuesday... can I get pregnant?. im asking this because I'm on birth control and I think its messing up my sex drive...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 11:06 AM
    These kits are only predictors and should not be used as a form of birth control as they are not always accurate.

If your ovulation date is Monday, and you have sex on Tuesday, there is still the possibility of pregnancy since you don't know for a fact that you ovulated on Monday, and you don't know what time you ovulated.

You say that you think the birth control is messing up your sex drive. Which form of birth control are you on? How long have you been on it? Are you on any other medications?

Jun 19, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    These kits are only predictors and should not be used as a form of birth control as they are not always accurate.

If your ovulation date is monday, and you have sex on tuesday, there is still the possibility of pregnancy since you don't know for a fact that you ovulated on monday, and you don't know what time you ovulated.

You say that you think the birth control is messing up your sex drive. Which form of birth control are you on? How long have you been on it? Are you on any other medications?

Oh OK that makes sense I guess... umm right now I'm on mononessa which is a substitue for ortho-cyclen... I been on it since I had my daughter which was in march of 2007... before I got pregnant I was on ovacon or something and I think that worked better for me and I was on that from age 14 till I got prgnant when I was 19 but I have medicaid insurance and I go to planned parenthood in plainfield NJ, and they said that the ortho-cyclen is the closest they have to the ovacon... My boyfriend is starting to get a little mad that I'm not into it like I used to be and I think its because of the birth control... because I don't think its my daughter she's 15 months now and she's very good...

Jun 19, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daniella4087
    oh ok that makes sense i guess....umm right now im on mononessa which is a substitue for ortho-cyclen.... i been on it since i had my daughter which was in march of 2007...before i got pregnant i was on ovacon or something and i think that worked better for me and i was on that from age 14 till i got prgnant when i was 19 but i have medicaid insurance and i go to planned parenthood in plainfield NJ, and they said that the ortho-cyclen is the closest they have to the ovacon....My boyfriend is starting to get a little mad that im not into it like i used to be and i think its because of the birth control....because i dont think its my daughter shes 15 months now and shes very good....

Oh and no I'm not on any other medications
    astrus Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 01:03 AM

Try to use this ovulation calendar tool Ovulation Calendar | Advanced Woman Calendar - pregnancy ovulation calendar by eOvulation to trace your cycle and find the date of ovulation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ovulation and pregnancy [ 56 Answers ]

I ovulated July 24th about when is a good time to test for pregnancy?:confused:

Pregnancy around ovulation [ 1 Answers ]

Can you get pregnant even if you are not around your period cycle

Late ovulation and pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, and hopefully someone out there can shed some light on my situation... I ovulated on day 25 of my cycle(normally a 28/29 day cycle).. it is now day 35 and as yet no sign of my period, I say no sign but for the past few days I have been feeling it was on its way,...

Pregnancy testing after ovulation [ 1 Answers ]

How many days past ovulation can a home pregnancy test be positive?

Clomid, Ovulation and Pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

I have PCOS. My doctor started me on Clomid. I took one round of clomid 50mg. My Doctor then brought me on day 12 to look at my ovaries to see if I produced follicles. I did- so he advised me to go home and do Ovulation test for 3 days. One in the morning and one in the evening. I did them...

View more questions Search