Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alergic__1 Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Possibly Pregnant and on Birth Control?
    So I am a married 24 year old female. I have been on triquilar 28 for some years now. I have never experienced any other bleeding or spotting in between periods ever.
    My husband and I aren't trying to get pregnant... but if it happens... either way... we are fine :)
    My last normal period was Nov.19th. I skipped the first pill of my next pack by accident... so I have missed 1 pill this month. (might I add... other months I have missed up to 3 and nothing) This month... on Dec. 10th... I experience some spotting... brownish pinky colour... not enough to have to wear a pad or anything like that... it lasted about 2 days... (on and off Mon and Tues) Before that I felt as if my period was coming... cramping, feeling "wet" down there... etc... nothing.. no period... except for this brownish pinky colour coming out
    My next period is due on the 17th of this month (monday) I took a home pregnancy test last Friday night... I am assuming that was way too early... I had a blood test taken on the 10th... maybe that was way too early?
    What really are my chances of being pregnant? I have experienced VERY tender and sore breasts and nipples... as in Don't TOUCH ME sore... Starting this week on Tuesday... I have been feeling extremely tired... as in I just seem to be having a very hard time keeping my eyes open... work or home... also been having a hard time sleeping at night... keep waking up... and during the days... I get the chills often...
    What do you think my chances are of being pregnant?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 14, 2007, 12:59 PM
    The chances are VERY slim, but pregnancy can occur on the pill.

The spotting you experienced isn't unusual.. even though its new to you. Brown blood is actually "old blood" that your body is flushing out. We all have unusual periods, even on birth control.

The rest (tired, can't sleep, sore breasts) could be pregnancy, or they could be stress, PMS, common cold, etc. It's a bit too early for you to test, you'll be better off if you wait a bit longer and see what happens.

Dec 14, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Thanks for responding... my breasts have been VERY sore for about 3 weeks now.. Can that be normal as well?
    I have had sore breasts before... usually a bit before my period... never ever this long... so kind of confused there...
    Yeah the blood thing was really strange to me.. like I said... never have I ever experienced that...
    Would this weekend still be to early to test you think? Or do you think I should wait until Monday... when my next period is suppose to start?
    Thanks again... for responding!

OH... I meant to ask one more thing... When does the hormone start working? Is it when the sperem meets the egg... or after implantation?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alergic__1
    OH...I meant to ask one more thing....When does the hormone start working? Is it when the sperem meets the egg....or after implantation?
    Very good question!!

The hormone begins to increase within days after conception and increases daily until about the 12th week of pregnancy when it begins to decline.

Now, the increase is not always high enough to measure until around after your missed period, usually about a week after.

If you have sore breasts for 3 weeks now, it is possible you are pregnant. I got pregnant with my 2 oldest while on the pill, so we knew that the pill did not work for me and I had to use another form of protection.
    Suelle383 Posts: 105, Reputation: 25

Dec 14, 2007, 06:56 PM
    When I miss a couple of pills or are late taking theml is when I usually have spotting during the month. That's normal. (Your hormones get all out of whack). One time I missed pills and I DIDN'T have any spotting, that's when I found out I was pregnant (unfortunately, I miscarried 6 weeks later). If you only missed one pill and you had spotting, my guess would be that you're not pregnant. It sounds like it's a little too early for the tests to tell you for sure (the hormone will usually show up on the test no earlier than 5 days before you next period is due). I'd wait until Monday and see what happens. If you don't get your period Monday/Tuesday, take the test. If it comes back negative then, you're probably not pregnant and missing the one pill just screwed up your cycle.

Dec 16, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Yeah Suelle 383... about missing the pills and spotting... I think I mentioned that I have missed up to 3 pills in a row on a different month or two the whole time that I have been on BC... I never experienced spotting ever... never ever experienced sore breasts (except about a week before my period... but this was THREE weeks before my period when the sore tender breasts started... never ever experienced that...

So if I don't get my period (it is suppose to start tomorrow) How long should I wait to take a test? The one that I have here... and ready haha is First Response... I know it sayd up to 4 days before your missed period... but I just wanted to wait and be sure that the hormones are going to be high enough because I only spotted on the 10th of this month...
    Let me know what you guys think... oh and if I were pregnant... is it normal for the sore breasts to "cut back" from being so sore?
    And today... I am feeling cramps... maybe my period is coming..
    OH... and one more question haha
    How long is it normal to be cramping if what I have experience was "implantation bleeding"???

Dec 16, 2007, 05:16 PM
    I took the pregnancy test the 2nd day after my missed period and it came back clearly positive. If you're like me on the pill, you know pretty much what day you're going to get your period. If you don't get it tomorrow, take the test Tuesday morning. It should be able to give you a clear indication whether your pregnant or not. (Take the test in the morning, that's when your hormone levels would be their highest).

As for cramps, that could mean either thing. When I was pregnant I got cramps that felt like my normal period cramps but then there was no menstruation. So cramping and sore breasts aren't a great indication of either condition because they could be because you're getting your period or because you're pregnant. Just take the test and go from there.

Dec 16, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Do you think that I if it was implantation bleeding... it happened around the time it should? About 7 days before my period...
    Was your positive result a faint mark on the day after your missed period?

Dec 16, 2007, 07:30 PM
    It wasn't faint. It was clearly positive. ( I took 2 tests and both of them at night when the hormone is supposed to be at the lowest and it was still clearly positive). I think it was the EPT test. I don't know about implantation bleeding. I didn't experience any bleeding when I became pregnant. If you're really nervous and your period is due tomorrow, take the test tomorrow morning and see what it says. Most of the tests on the market today can detect the pregnancy hormone up to 4-5 days before your missed period so the result you have tomorrow will probably be correct. Honestly, if you only missed on pill in the beginning of the month and took the others on schedule I'd be surprised if you were pregnant. I've been on the pill for close to 10 years and I have often missed one pill and never had a problem. The time I got pregnant was when I missed 3 pills in a row (and all within the 2 middle weeks).

Dec 16, 2007, 07:34 PM
    I will take the test in the morning...
    Maybe there is something else wrong with me then?

Dec 16, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Do you think if took one tonight I would get a right answer?

Just went to the bathroom... some light pink spotting...
    Maybe I'm not pregnant after all...
    I must be going to start tomorrow then eh

Dec 17, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Allergic_1 - How'd it turn out? Did you get your period or take the pregnancy test?

Dec 17, 2007, 07:57 PM
    I took a test... got a negative...
    I have a brown discharge though... looks like "old blood" I guess?

Dec 17, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Yeah, probably. I get that sometimes too. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. It'll usually go back to normal in a day or two. Good luck!

Dec 17, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Thanks for all your help... maybe you'll see me again soon haha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get pregnant if I have Implanon (birth control) [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently on Implanon which is a form of birth control that is inserted in my arm. My fiancé and I are wanting to have a baby. Is there a way around this form of birth control so that I can become pregnant?

I take birth control how do I know if I [ 20 Answers ]

I'm on birth control and I am scared to death that I might be pregnant... How can I tell? I have already skipped to my last week of pills (where your suppose to start) but nothings happen! Someone please help I'm in desperate need!:(

I am on Birth control, but could I be pregnant? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys. I have been on birth control for almost 3 years now, but the last time I went to the OBGYN they told me I needed a higher estrogen pill due to spotting. They put me on trinessa, which I just started about 2 weeks ago, Well now I have been getting really sick in the morning, throwing...

Could I be pregnant? Only on birth control 7 days :/ [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 19 and just started birth control pills for the first time - Ortho TriCyclen Lo. I had unprotected sex for the first time on the night that I took the 8th pill. I heard that it takes 7 days for it to be effective and technically it was 7 days, but was it cutting it too close? What are the...

Could I be pregnant, or just having birth control symptoms? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Im just concerned about what could possibly be happening to my body right now, and I hope I don't lose you anywhere. STAY WITH ME! Now, I was put on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo about two months ago. I took that first pack successfully and my period came normally during the forth week of the pack....

View more questions Search