Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eclipsedone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2005, 02:46 PM
    IE Problems
    Ok, basically my problem is this: When I open up IE or ANYTHING related to IE, it crashes and says :"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". It been going on for about a year now and since I have learned to use Firefox... I looked on previously posted problems like this, tried to fix it via what they said, but to no avail... Please help!

Thank you,
    Eclipsedone
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Oct 9, 2005, 12:46 AM
    I used to have the same problem. It was a peculiar conflict between internet explorer and Microsoft Office. Do you have Microsoft Office installed, and the language bar turned on? If so, try disabling the language bar and then try to start internet explorer. I know, it sounds crazy, but it has happened to me once in the past.
    eclipsedone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 11:15 AM
    I do not have Microsoft Office installed, thanks for trying to help :)... I REALLY appreciate it, I really want to get this problem solved!
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 10, 2005, 01:43 AM
    Try system file checker:

Click start -> run -> type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes & press return
    Let this process run (you'll need your windows CD) and see if there's any joy! Other than this you'll probably have to re-install internet explorer.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2005, 06:04 AM
    Internet Explorer
    Hi,
    You can try the SFC, but I have found that the System File Checker by Microsoft really doesn't accomplish much of anything..
    You really need to re-install Internet Explorer, then go to the Microsoft site, and download any updates you are using for it.
    To reinstall:
    Go to Start/Search or Start/find, then search for ie6setup.exe.
    Once you find it, then left double-click on it to start the installation. You might have to be connected to the internet to do it for some installations.
    I do suggest that you reinstall everything that shows up in Bold, including Outlook or whatever you use as email, and all else.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 10, 2005, 07:04 AM
    Could also be a corrupted user profile causing problems, to check this, create a new one and try the same things!

I'm not sure which version of windows you use, in Windows 2000 it is done like this:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> users & passwords -> add.

Create a new user and then log on as that user!

Give this a try just to check your profile is OK.

Fred, I'm surprised that you've not had any success with SFC! I've used it many times when others might have re-installed the OS. Of course, it only works if you have damaged or incorrect system files to repair!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gun problems [ 2 Answers ]

My wife loves playing paintball and so do I my question is my wife's gun has messed up the o-ring busted and I replaced it, but air still leaks out.I checked everything twice to see if their was anything else but I can't find anything.does anyone have any clue what's going on.

93 FGM Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 93 Grand Marquis that I've been trying to troubleshoot for a while now. I can't really figure out which it could be, no one in town has the diagnostic for the car for some strange reason not even ford. Well, there are places but they want to charge an arm and leg to test it. What's going...

Dvd problems [ 2 Answers ]

Sometimes I absolutely can not get my DVD player to play a DVD. I can usually get the DVD to play on my computer but I much prefer to watch it on the TV. Any suggestions?

IP Cop problems [ 7 Answers ]

I have an IP Cop firewall that I am using to split my network in half. My setup consists of a Netgear router which goes out to my office netork of 5 or so computers, one of which is my IP Cop box. The IP Cop box then goes to a switch which I plug customer computers into. So essentially I have an...

View more questions Search