Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katie-loo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Hcg levels?
    Confused I am 19 days post ovulation and I had a blood test to check for pregnancy and I got the results today they said I have a hcg level of 4 and to come and be re tested in 5 days,I am confused am I pregnant or not? I thought any hcg under 5 was a negative? So why the need to retest,is it normal to have a hcg of 4 in a non pregnant woman,I am 27 and have been trying to conceive for 1yr.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 02:21 PM
    The normal hCG level for non-pregnant women is less than 5mlU/ml. So your test, thus far, would indicate that you are not pregnant.

The retest in a week is to see if you are pregnant as the hCG levels rise dramatically in pregnancy.

Here is the scale

Less than 1 week pregnant = 5-50
    2 weeks = 50 - 500
    3 weeks 100 - 10,000
    4 weeks 1,000 - 30,000
    5 weeks 3,500 - 115,000
    6 - 8 weeks 12,000 - 270,000
    12 weeks 15,000 - 220,000
    gimmie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by katie-loo
    confused I am 19 days post ovulation and i had a blood test to check for pregnancy and i got the results today they said i have a hcg level of 4 and to come and be re tested in 5 days,i am confused am i pregnant or not? I thought any hcg under 5 was a negative? so why the need to retest,is it normal to have a hcg of 4 in a non pregnant woman,i am 27 and have been trying to concieve for 1yr.
    My doctor told me that anything under 30 is considered not pregnant... but my hcg level is 9.58 and she had me do more blood work... so I am just as confused as you are... I just had a tubal ligation done too so the news of yes I'm pregnant would be a little upsetting...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HCG Level [ 2 Answers ]

Well I went and got a blood pregnancy test done yesterday.. If I have it calculated right I should be at 20 dpo.. My last period was on March 17th and I was due for my next cycle to start on the 14th of April.. Well I got the result back today from the blood work and the nurse said it came back...

AVERAGE hcg levels in singleton and multiple pregnancy [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have this data? Got my second hcg check today. I'm just over 5 weeks pregnant and my hcg is about 7,500 mIU. Twins run in my family. All of my pregnancy symptoms are really strong (i.e. tired all day long, nauseated all day long). I had a dream that I was carrying twins. And I just...

Hcg 14 ? [ 1 Answers ]

What does it mean for your HCG to be 14?

HCG Levels [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I'm looking for information about twins and hcg levels. At 7 weeks, I was measuring at 165,000 mIu. I know that the range for singletons is from 7500-229000 for 7-8 weeks... but I was wondering if these numbers could be indicative of twins. My first u/s or doppler...

Hcg Levels And Menstrual Period [ 1 Answers ]

Can you still have HCG in your system and get your menstrual period?

View more questions Search