Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurendobbs Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 02:00 PM
    12 weeks and sick of meat
    Ok so I am due in March anyway my nausea is horrible I took ONE bite of a hamburger and there I go again running for the porcelain torture chamber I have become so fond of. I cannot stand hamburger meat in anything; tacos, nachos, or hamburgers. I am so weak and I don't know what eat or do. My OBGYN prescribed me Zofran, anti nausea meds that is supposed to the best, I haven't received it yet the Walmart by my house had to order it. I am waiting on that but even after I get it, will I be able to eat meat? What do I do until then?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 02:14 PM

GNC has papaya enzyme. It helps me with any stomach ailments. When my kids were little they ate a whole extra large bottle so it is very safe.

Sep 10, 2009, 03:37 PM

I can't take medication. Has anyone had similar annoyances as I have?
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Sep 10, 2009, 04:09 PM

I understand how you feel. I am 18 weeks and only started to recover from morning sickness about 3 or 4 weeks ago. For the first 3 1/2 months it was pretty bad. I even got hospitalized for a few days once. It still bothers me from time to time but now it only hits me once, maybe twice a week. When it does the zofran stuff works pretty well actually. It takes about an hour to work for me so I only swallow it when I'm at a point where I can hold it down.

Another odd thing that helped me actually was watermelon. Not only is it very hydrating but it actually helped the sickness some. I had to eat nothing but it for several days once.

I can't tell you exactly what to do or eat or what medicines will work for you though because every woman and every pregnancy is different. Take your meat problem for huge instance, tacos are actually great on my tummy.

Just try different things until you figure out what helps.

Sep 10, 2009, 04:24 PM

I drink loads of white milk.. I used to HATE it but now I really can't go through a day without it.. It coats my stomach in a way..
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by laurendobbs View Post
    I can't take medication. Has anyone had similar annoyances as I have?
    You can't take meds? What is Zofran? Papaya enzyme is all natural, and is NOT medicine.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 05:58 PM

While I was having nausea during pregnancy I did not take any medication for it.

And it actually helped if I threw up rather than keeping it down,because if I tried to keep it down,I used to get a headache which only went away after I threw up.

When I had to throw up it did not matter what I was eating.
    Hot drinks and soups helped a bit more than cold food or drinks.Less spicy and more bland foods also seemed to be easier to eat.
    sasha_1 Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

Sep 10, 2009, 10:14 PM

Nohelpu, what the op is asking is about morning sickness, not stomach illness. You have written that your kids used to take it and you take it for stomach ailments. Did you also take it for your morning sickness? The reason I ask this is, I know papaya causes miscarriage and I was forbidden to take it during my pregnancy. And for any kind of stuff, natural or not, which is otc, they would always write "Check with your doctor if you are pregnant".

Anything which is safe for kids does not mean that it is OK to take it during pregnancy.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 05:59 AM
    laurendobbs disagrees: My doctor prescribed that for me you don't need to be rude

There is nothing "rude" about my answer. There also is nothing factually incorrect about my answer. I don't know why you felt you have to give me a red mark for an answer that was true and to the point.

"Disagree's" are for FACTUALLY incorrect answers only. You might want to re-read the rules of this site. Someone recommended a natural product, and you shot them down by saying " I can't take medication."

THAT was the only rude response in this post.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 06:21 AM
    Whatever you do, please do NOT take papaya enzyme...

Papaya must not be used during pregnancy. If you become pregnant or think you may be pregnant, tell your doctor immediately.
    Papaya Enzyme Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

It is NOT safe during pregnancy.

Now, if you can't eat meat right now, that's okay. The ability to eat meat might come back later in your pregnancy. Just make sure you eat good fruits and vegetables and take your prenatal vitamins. The vitamins will provide you with nutrients you may not be getting in your diet.

Zofran is a great medicine, but we use it rarely in my hospital. I find Phenergan is just as good as Zofran, but it might make you a little sleepy.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    There also is nothing factually incorrect about my answer.
    Actually, you are factually incorrect. While papaya enzyme may be all natural, it is NOT to be taken during pregnancy.

All papaya extracts including papain enzyme should be avoided during pregnancy. They should also be avoided if you have a bleeding disorder.
    Benefits of Papaya Enzymes
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 06:42 AM

I thought papaya was as natural as eating papaya? Jamaca and other countries use it as a meat tenderizer.
    Probotics is basically what yogurt is. I use payaya meat tenderizer because I get sick from the message in the general meat tenderizers they sell.

Now I am wondering about people who eat papaya and yogurt, if they know they can't be eating papaya and yogurt when they are pregnant??
    Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 06:46 AM
    Here you go... a study

In India, the fruit that is widely classified as harmful in
    Pregnancy is papaya (Carica papaya ). Women are strictly
    forbidden from eating ripe and unripe papaya for fear of its
    teratogenic and abortifacient effects.
    'Hot' foods are often believed to be harmful during
    Pregnancy and those classified as 'cold' are believed to
    Be harmless (Nag, 1994). Papaya, a staple fruit, is among
    the foods perceived as 'hot'.
    http://journals.cambridge.org/downlo...9d97c60a9e146d
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 06:50 AM

I read up on supplements to avoid when pregnant because of their abortifacient effects years ago . I never ran across papaya.

Thanks for letting me know. I WILL add it to my things to take and not to take notebook
    Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 07:04 AM
    Girl... things change monthly... yearly. I have to keep up on the journals almost weekly. Since I live in the "midsouth" there are "religions" that I have to keep up on especially since we had a huge population move here from New Orleans after Katrina.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Sep 11, 2009, 07:33 AM

Have the doctors already tried to give you Phenergan yet? That is the first thing my doctor tried but it did not work for me. If they haven't tried to give it to you yet or do not have a medical reason to not give it to you it wouldn't hurt to ask about it.

Are there any other fruits or vegetables to avoid? I've never eaten papaya before but I didn't realize it was so bad either.
    Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 07:38 AM
    I find that Phenergan is the best for pregnant women.

Avoid fish that's potentially high in mercury, however, including swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish and shark.
    Pregnancy nutrition: Healthy eating for you and your baby - MayoClinic.com

This is another good site.

Pregnancy nutrition: Foods to avoid during pregnancy - MayoClinic.com
    nicckidoodle Posts: 146, Reputation: 4

Sep 11, 2009, 10:14 AM

Have you tried different kind of meat? I had the same issue with the smell sight, and taste of red meat in early pregnancy like month 3 and for the doc put me on zofran during m those 2 months, but it made me sleep so he told me to try substituting ground chicken or turkey for the ground beef. I was skeptical about making sloppy joes or chili or anything like that with anything but beef but to my surprise its really tasty I like it a lot more than ground beef, its a lot less greasy ( which is my big problem greasy food makes me really sick) and you can season it and substitute it for any ground beef dish! I hope you start feeling better soon I know its anoying now but it won't last forever if you try this idea I hope it works as well for you as it does for me!

Sep 11, 2009, 10:33 AM

J_9 Thank you very much I was looking for any other kind of medication other than what my dr has given, I believe that some people misread my question but it is good to know that I cannot eat or take that, also I have miscarried a few times before, too. So I am being very careful.

Niccidoodle- well I can eat other meat its just ground beef that makes me vomit even from the smell, I took a bite out of the hamburger just trying to be nice and holy moly bad idea. I can eat steak, I do love ground turkey it is actually really good I couldn't tell the difference it all gave me heartburn lol, also I substitute my hamburgers for chicken sandwiches and I eat a lot of yogurt since I am on antibiotics so that helps. Anything milk base or that is really a base helps me a lot.

Silver- my doctor has only proscribed Zofran for my nausea I haven't received it yet I am still waiting for the pharmacy to call me, I wish they would hurry. Lol

Also J_9 I am not eating any fish however I am craving some mac cheese and tuna, my dr said I can have 1 can a week, I haven't done it yet I really like it but I want to make sure I can keep it down I don't want to waste food.

Thank you so much everyone. If anyone else has had similar issues please comment and let me know if it went away for you..

Thanks
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 10:51 AM

If you are concerned about not eating meat ,don't be.There is plenty of protein in peanuts and beans of any kind.

I used to eat vanilla pudding and good old saltine crackers(unsalted) to soothe my stomach.

Your prenatal vitamins are chock full of everything you need.

Fresh fruit and your healthier unsweetened cereals worked for me.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    J,
    We are told not to eat raw pineapple too during pregnancy,is there a good reason for that?

laurendobbs,
    Regarding tuna, one of the easiest things to keep down for me was plain rice with bland tuna soup with a bit of lemon added.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 1yr old puppy is sick, vomiting.not worms, sick only in morning. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello:) I am new here.. My 1yr old pup, Gracie, is a house dog, she is 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 Min. Doberman. For the last few days she has been vomiting in the morning, that is the only time she does. We are very careful what she eats & as we live in town, she stays indoor.. even to void. She is...

Very sick puppy 5 weeks old [ 4 Answers ]

My shihtzu had 2 puppies. One died today from hypoglycemia and anemia. The other one seems fine but is sluggish. They were born on Nov 7. The mother is weening them but I can't get the puppy to try and eat food. What am I doing wrong.

Could I be sick in the first two weeks of my second pregnancy? [ 19 Answers ]

I haven't asked a doctor yet, I really dislike them. Is any mom ever sick in her second week?:rolleyes:

14 Weeks Pregnant + Sick With Cold [ 1 Answers ]

Is this dangerous, after researching around Google, I did not find an answer but I did find that being sick while pregnant, is bound to happen sometime during pregnancy, my fiancé has gotten the cold, she's 14weeks, she claims I worry too much But is the baby exposed more to any dangers now that...

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

View more questions Search