Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessy0428 Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2010, 07:29 AM
    Question about breastfeeding.
    I plan on breastfeeding with this baby ,if my milk comes in right(it didn't with my daughter, it was a blackish color so I couldn't breastfeed her) But I was wondering if I can just pump from day one instead of actually nursing? I have heard some people say you can and some say you can't so I just want to be sure.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2010, 10:26 AM

It is physically possible, but it's incredibly tiring and stressful. Some mothers of premature babies do this, and it means pumping away for up to an hour at a time, and doing this every two-three hours, day and night. And in between, you have to wash and sterilise bottles and the pump, and oh yeah, try to find time to spend with your baby.

It's really much easier just to breastfeed. The fact that you didn't last time doesn't mean you will have problems this time. The milk nearly always comes in much better on a second pregnancy.

By the way, how do you know your milk was black last time? Did someone tell you you shouldn't breastfeed?

Breastmilk does change colour depending what you eat. I used to get a lot of fun out of seeing what colours I could turn my breastmilk. Beetroot used to make it bright pink. Tumeric turned it yellow, and spinach give it a lovely green tint. I never found the food that would turn it black, but I'm sure there is one. The natural, untinted colour was a very pale blue.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 10:48 AM
    As Eileen said, it is physically possible, but really takes too much time. It's going to take twice the time of breast feeding. You will have to pump and still feed the baby. Why not just breast feed? Much easier, cleaner, and the milk is always at the right temperature and no bottles to sterilize.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 03:19 PM

I know it must have been a bit surprising, but if it were to be the same blackish color, it would still be OK to nurse baby.

If it made you uncomfortable, you could pump until it changed color and then put baby to the breast a few days later. There are several ways of feeding baby without a bottle if you wanted to lessen the possibility of nipple preference which can sometimes develop when going from bottle to breast in the early days.

Jun 8, 2010, 05:52 PM

Thank you ladies. In a way I feel uncomfortable breastfeeding , I am not sure why, but I want to be able to do it. I don't know why it came in like that with my daughter , it started a mustard yellow color and then turned the blackish color. My dr. told me not to even try to breastfeed since it was like that, I was also 17 so I didn't get taken as serious as someone older. But I hope everything is good this time and I am able to do it for my baby.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Why do you feel uncomfortable breast feeding?

Jun 9, 2010, 04:17 AM

I don't know. I am a really self conscious person , and I have been trying to get over it but it hasn't worked. But I know I want to give him the benefits from breast milk.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 07:45 AM

Honestly, as soon as you start breastfeeding your baby, everything changes. You stop being self-conscious and just get on with it. If someone looks at you, you assume they are admiring your gorgeous baby. But generally, you are so involved with the baby you never even think about other people.

There are a very occasions when someone doesn't make milk for one reason or another. But I've never heard of any case where a mother did make milk but it wasn't suitable for the baby except where she was getting treatment for cancer.

I still curious as to how you knew your milk was black?

Jun 9, 2010, 12:04 PM

I hope so . My dr. never even saw me about it. I called them and told them what was going on and they said just to stop. I knew because when it came in and I was leaking it was coming out black. It started like a mustard yellow and then turned blackish.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 12:52 PM

Jessy... there is every reason to believe you will find success this time around. Do you know if the hospital or birthing center you will be at has lactation consultants available? That option would be very valuable if you have questions or concerns next time. Another good source of support would be to see if there is a La Leche, or similar, group that offers breastfeeding support in your area. Family members, friends, co-workers, your labor or postpartum nurse, local health department, etc. may also be able to provide you with support or know of someone who can.

Had you taken any medications during your pregnancy or labor itself? There are some that may have resulted in the color change.

Some women are uncomfortable with the thought of actual breastfeeding, even when they want baby to have breastmilk. Sometimes it is the idea of how breasts are often viewed in our society... sometimes it is due to simple modesty... sometimes there are passed experiences that cause the feelings of discomfort... and sometimes you can't pinpoint why; it just is.

I commend you for wanting to try it again! Often the next time you have more information going into it, and that can help tremendously.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 02:47 PM

One of those weird things: I just met a woman today who had black milk! She had a blocked duct and when it unblocked some milk came out almost black. The milk itself was fine and she breastfed normally.

Jun 10, 2010, 01:30 PM

Thank you DoulaLc. I really hope I am able to do it this time. The only meds I had was the stuff from the c-section and the pain meds after. I am pretty sure the hospital I am having him at has lactation consultant that comes around and talk to you about breastfeeding. I am going to talk to my dr. more when I go back , but they are not real helpful.
    Eileen, I guess it is just one of those things. I just hope it was a one time thing. I have never met anyone else that had that issue , its nice to there are other women out there that have had it happen. I wish my Dr. would have seen me about it and it might have been something simple and I could have breastfed. But it's the past , you can't change it but I am def. going to try my best this time around! Thank you ladies you are a big help.
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2010, 03:55 PM

Before you have the baby, check out what support there is locally. Doctors are fine, but you can't beat the experience of women who had breastfed their own babies, and know the trouble and the triumphs. See if there is a La Leche League group or some other support group near you. Ask your doctor or health center about it. Check out the phone number of independent breastfeeding counsellors.

I promise, no-one will try to bully you into breastfeeding if you don't want to, but sometimes, just knowing that what is happening to you is normal is all you need to keep going, or even to switch to a different feeding method, knowing you are making the right decision.

The important thing is to have the right information, so you can make an informed decision.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jun 14, 2010, 11:57 AM

Honestly, as soon as you start breastfeeding your baby, everything changes. You stop being self-conscious and just get on with it. If someone looks at you, you assume they are admiring your gorgeous baby. But generally, you are so involved with the baby you never even think about other people.
    I have to agree with this. I'm a first time mom breastfeeding for 6+ months now. I'm very "shy" myself so I was nervous at first, but now it doesn't bother me whatsoever! Its also a nice excuse to escape with baby if you're out in public or at a family gathering... I'll even breastfeed in my parked car if it gives me more privacy. ;)

I have to admit I've learned something in this thread. I've never heard of different colors in breastmilk. I've been pumping since birth and I've never seen a change in my own... how interesting!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Irregular while breastfeeding [ 1 Answers ]

I had my first period (since giving birth last year) on July 11, 2008. This month I’m late. I do not want to be pregnant. Is it normal to be late and irregular while breastfeeding part time? I nurse my son maybe 3-5 times in 24 hours... at the most. He takes bottles and baby food as well.

Can I.while breastfeeding? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you smoke while breastfeeding?

Breastfeeding class [ 2 Answers ]

I have signed up for a breastfeeding class and a lamaze class. I know my husband will go with me to the lamaze class but is it typical for your husband to attend the breastfeeding class also? I don't want to drag him along and he be the only male there but I don't want to tell him not to come and...

Breastfeeding Problem [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been nursing my son for about 11 months. The problem is that for the last 8 months he has only eaten off the left side, leaving the right one to dry up. Or so I thought, lately I have noticed some leakage coming from the nipple. Is this still milk or some kind of disharge. Is this...

Breastfeeding [ 4 Answers ]

If I breastfeed will it make my nipples a little bit bigger? :D

View more questions Search