Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 08:48 AM
    Transfer speed from computer to external hard drive
    I just transferred 4GB from a folder on my computer to a USB2 external hard drive and it took 45 minutes! From other transfers, it seems like this is way too long.

1. Is there a "standard" transfer speed that I should expect from a transfer like this?

2. Would doing other things on the computer while it's transferring cause it to slow down? I was doing many things while the transfer was going on.

3. Comparing various external hard drives (all USB2), will some just be better - and transfer faster - than others?

Thanks!
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 19, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Is your computer's USB v2 as well? If not, it doesn't matter if the hard drive is USB2, you will only get speed of USB1.1.

Doing other things on your computer involving disk operations (such as working in files, saving, moving, etc) will hamper the performance of a copy. The hard disk head would need to move back and forth between the data you're a copying and the data you are working with.

Hard disks run at different speeds: 5400, 7200, and 10,000 RPM are common. Also, on-board cache will make a difference in performance.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jun 19, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Hi Rick,

As Northwind_Dagas says, if you only have usb 1 on your PC you will get slow speeds.

4gb = 4000mb = 32000mbits (approx)
    at 45 minutes you are getting 32000/45/60 = 11.85 mbits/second.
    this means you are using a usb 1 connection (12mbits/sec) whereas if you have a usb 2 connection you could get up to 480 mbits/sec = 1.1minutes. But as ND says above other factors will probably stop you getting the full quoted speed of usb2.

I reconed on about 30 secs for about 600mb, so that would give you a time for 4gb of about 3-4 minutes.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 02:04 PM
    Hmmm. Would have sworn I've got usb2 on the computer, but will check under the hood to be sure.

Doing some mass moving here at home on usb2 laptop and it's FLYING!

... will definitely have to check out that usb card @ work...
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 08:57 AM
    I'm back at work now...
    The computer (P4, 2GH, 736MB Ram) is factory usb 1.0 - but I added a USB 2.0 card.

I did 2 test copies of a 663MB folder from My Docs to an external HD (100GB, 5400RPM).

From the USB 1.0 port it took 13 min 0 seconds.
    From the USB 2.0 port it took 5 min 11 seconds.

... so just 17mbps for the transfer via the 2.0 port!

Is there anything I can do to improve the performance, or am I just stuck with this. Is it because of my older motherboard?

Will tapping on the processor with a ball pien hammer help :( :p

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2006, 09:01 AM
    How fast does it copy the folder to another folder on your internal hard drive? Is you're my docs folder located on your local machine? Sometimes they will be on the network server (right click & properties to find out) which could also slow down performance. Also try temporarily turning off your antivirus (if you're sure of the files of course)
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Thanks, Stu.

Ugh. This is not looking good:

Yes, My Docs is on local machine. No network.

With Norton Internet Security Enabled, it was 1/3rd of the way through the copy after 3 minutes... and with NIS disabled was 1/3rd of the way through after 2 minutes.

That just doesn't make sense does it? Shouldn't local file/folder moves/copys go lickety split?

Jun 20, 2006, 09:32 AM
    You didn't say how fast the transfer was from c: to c: (different folder) that should tell you if the problems with your PC or the link. I suppose if the files being copied are very fragmented they could cause a delay.

Is your computer fast otherwise, if the machine's struggling for free ram for whatever reason that could slow the process down.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Oops... sorry. The times I was quoting were for the same 663MB folder from My Docs to right under C:. Both with and without NIS I only let it go about 1/3rd of the way through the copy just to get an idea of the speed... so it was looking like about 6 minutes for the copy with NIS disabled and 9 minutes with it enabled.

Generally speaking, I'd call the computer fast... I've had no performance issues prior to noticing this one... but of course I don't know how to put "seems fast enough" into technical language.

... think it would be worth looking into any of the variety of diagnosis software that's available? I'd put a few bucks into it if I thought it could make a significant improvement.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jun 20, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Check with your cable that's connected to the hard drive... makes sure it's a USB 2.0 "HIGH SPEED"... or make sure you have a HIGH SPEED USB 2.0 hard drive

There are differences in USB 2.0 products that manufacturers don't want you to know...

This was at a site I was reading about that can explain better...

"""Unfortunately, the phrase "USB 2.0" does not necessarily mean 480Mbps of throughput. USB 2.0 now has three different signaling rates: Low Speed (1.5Mbps), Full Speed (12Mbps), and Hi-Speed (480Mbps). The marketing and advertising departments of product manufacturers like to put the words "USB 2.0" on all of their product packages. This can be really deceptive since most consumers will see USB 2.0 and compare it to an older product with the USB 1.1 moniker and think "USB2 must be better than USB 1.1!" Naturally, the consumer is unaware of the difference between "Full Speed" and "High Speed" (this is something akin to the old naming snafu with floppy disks: does "double density" or "high density" hold more?).""""

This explains why my mp3 transfer speed to a 1GB card is bad... I didn't have usb 2.0 high speed cable

So your USB cable or hard drive may not be utilizing the USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED connection and that's y you are transferring slowly

Just because it says USB 2.0 doesn't necessarily promise transferring fast anymore... which sucks
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Hey, never thought of the cable itself. Yes, the hd is usb 2.0. I'll check the cable when I get back to the office.

With the slow transfer rate from c: to c:, though, I'll have to guess something is amiss elsewhere, too...
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jun 21, 2006, 12:28 AM
    If you have slow trasnfer from :c>:c then that's another issue...
    To me it sounds like you got some major cpu robbing program running in the background...

How much memory is installed on your system?is spyware running in background?is there a disk defrag program running?what programs are running when you ctrl-alt-del?
    When the last time you defragged and did cleanup?

I'm thinking you might have a spyware issue personally because those have been known to slow a computer to a crawl when doing anything..

My suggestions
    Do a spyware check
    Do a defrag and cleanup
    Do a antivirus check
    Drag and drop instead of copy and paste(for some weird reason mine transfers faster if I drag instead of cut)
    Check version of USB 2.0 equipment
    Transfer in safe mode if possible
    Get the newest drivers for USB 2.0 card
    Make sure all features on USB addon card are double checked

I'm tapped... good luck hopefully you get running at the right speed

Jun 21, 2006, 01:38 AM
    I have used this program quite recently http://www.iobit.com/WindowsCare.htm I didn't let it mess around with the services but there is a restore function anyway, seems to help speed up some settings!

Also, I would look at your IDE controller driver and update if possible. Also have a look at event viewer to see if there are any error messages that might look suspicious.

By the way, I didn't get the latest notification on this thread after my last post - had to find it myself!
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Tommy: I'm virus, spyware and fragmentation free. My testing is with no other apps running. With cntrl-alt-delete nothing showing under Apps, but a whole list of stuff showing under Processes...

In double checking the drivers for the USB 2.0 card, Windows tells me they can't find a better driver.

I'm assuming that the USB card is the "USB 2.0 Root Hub" shown below. Is that correct?

Stu: Thanks, I'll try the WindowsCare app to see what it shows... and maybe even try a couple of the different "tune up" apps I see at download.com, too.
    Attached Images

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Try booting into Safe Mode and doing C: to C: transfers to see if the speed is better - if yes then you do have some CPU robbing processes running when normal booting.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Clearly I have issues. Transferring this 663MB folder (in Safe Mode) from My Docs to C: took 9 min 15 seconds.

Will have to see what WindowsCare, et al turns up.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 21, 2006, 08:49 AM
    I do not think copying files from C to C is going to show your best performance. Similar to before when I stated doing hard drive functions during a copy will cause it to be slower, the same thing is happening when you copy files on the drive to another location on the same drive.

The hard drive head is moving back and forth from where the data is and where the data is being copied to.

You will find the best performance copying between two hard disk on separate IDE channels. I do not think your C to C copy will give any kind of indication as to what you should expect to see when you copy to your external USB drive.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Y'know, I was wondering about that as I recognized that the copy from my computer to the external HD went a lot faster (albiet too slow for usb2) than the copy from c to c.

I downloaded 2 "optimization" utilities:
    TuneUpUtilities 2006 and Advanced Windows Care.

I ran the analyzer for AWC and it found 48 "problems". I then ran the analyzer for TUU and it found a couple thousand line items... so I ran the "Repair" function on it.

... then I re-ran the AWC analyzer and it found the same 48 "problems".

... so is "optimal performance" just an opinion? Seems very odd that AWC would show no change after such a drastic "optimization" by another far more intensive utility.

Oh well, still doing some playing around, then will re-try my test copies from my local HD to an external.

Jun 21, 2006, 09:29 AM
    I agree that the c to c copy is not the optimal performance you can get, however it does highlight the failing. My computer will copy 690Mb in about 35 seconds from c to c, Ricks is taking at least ten times longer than this therefore there is a problem with data transfer.

Probably the time to transfer data between c and usb2 is slightly more quick than c to c. That is not the point however, we are trying to identify the bottleneck in the system and it is higlighted with this c to c test.

As far as the two optimisers go, they must be diagnosing different things so yes I suppose optimisation is in the eye of the developer!

Rick, I would also test your ram and hard disk on this system. Did you notice anything funny in the event viewer?
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2006, 09:35 AM
    I do not see anything called Event Viewer in Advanced Windows Care.

Are you referring to the page showing the summary of the problems it found?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Maxtor External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, One of my clients has an external hard drive with all of their Quicktime video files loaded onto it. These video files were captured in an iMac (one of the newer all-in-one units). We wanted to see if the external hard drive (Firewire connection) could be hooked up to the PC...

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

Won't recognise external hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

My computer won't recognise an external hard drive. I plugged it into the usb port (I have no firewire port) and then turned on the power supply and as far as my computer is concerned the drive isn't even there Help?! Thanks

External hard drive partition inaccessible [ 2 Answers ]

2 partitions on my external 120gb HD have become inaccessible. Their names now appear to be "Local Disk", and if you try to access them you get an error message. http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/11865/0/s.JPG The drives F and H in the picture above are the ones having the problem....

View more questions Search