Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homimprov4040 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 04:28 PM
    How to build a partition wall from concrete floor
    How do I construct a partition wall of wood a drywall off a concrete floor?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2008, 06:27 PM
    What are you going to connect the wall to at the top. I will assume that it is the joist from the floor above.

So here is how you start, cut 2x4's the length of the outer walls is it is more than one wall. If it is just one wall cut the 2x4 the length of the wall, if there is a doorway do not cut the
    2x4 yet where the door will be, Now cut a 2x4 the same length for the top, nail it to the joist that are up there. You can use a drop line to make sure that the top 2x4 is aligned with the bottom. Now mark off 16 inches on the center on the bottom and top 2x4's which are called plates. If you are going to have a doorway mark the opening where the door is going, leave the opening one inch wider that the door casing. Now put a header above the doorway and leave about the same inch at the top. Now cut the studs to fit from the bottom place to the top plate, all of these may not be the same length because of the joist sagging or the floor not being level. After you have the bottom plate fastened securely to the floor you can cut the bottom plate where the doorway is going to go. You are now ready for any wiring and after that the sheetrock.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Most or the partition walls I do are done laying on the floor. I start with my pressure treated floor plate and nail all studs from the bottom side of the floor plate. Double top plate is taken into my measurement from floor plate to the joists above. I build the wall 1/8" short of the lowest joist. Construction adhesive on the floor, raise the wall and shim againist the joists, this hold it until I can square everything, the nail to the joists. Floor plate is then nailed with a Remington nail shooter.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 14, 2008, 10:42 PM
    I like Bob, and most people, build interior walls lying on the floor. The sole (bottom) plate on concrete must be treated material or have a moisture barrier between it and the concrete. Place the top and bottom plates, one on top of the other on the floor underneath the place it will be installed. Standing on the plates (to keep them flat and tight), measure from the plates to the joist or ceiling. If the wall will be parallel to the ceiling joist and directly under the joist, this will be you stud length. If the wall will be perpendicular to the ceiling joist, subtract 1/8 to ¼”. That is necessary to get the wall in place when you stand it up. If the wall will be parallel to the ceiling joist and will be in between the joist, add 1 ½”. Use a 2x6 for you top plate. This will give you something level with the bottom of the joist to attach your ceiling drywall to.

Assuming that you doing a basement finishing project and that you will have an intersecting perpendicular wall, you must make your first stud a corner post.

Place your top and bottom plates side by side, on edge. If your first stud is a regular stud, measure and make a mark 15 ¼” from the end. If your first stud is a corner post, measure and make a mark 18 ¾” from the end.
    Drive a small nail at the mark. Hook your tape on the nail and mark every 16” along the plate.

With the ends of the plates even, hold the two plates together and using your square draw a line at each mark. If you measured from left to right, make an X on the right of the line. If you measured from right to left, make an X on the left of the line. The line marks the edge of the stud and the X marks which side of line the stud goes.

Check your measurements. If your first stud is a regular stud, the center of the second one should be 16” from the end. If your first stud is a corner post, put it in place ½” from the end. The center of the second stud should be 16” from the interior edge of the inside stud of the corner post.

Lay your plates and studs out, on edge, and nail together, aligning the studs with the X’s.

Stand your wall up, putting the top in place first. Use a heavy hammer to drive the bottom into place.

If your wall is parallel to the joist and in between the joist, nail up bracing every 4 foot,
    1 ½” above the bottom edge of the joist

Using a level make sure the walls are plumb. Nail to floor using either cut nails or a power hammer.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a concrete shower floor over a custom concrete pan. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a stained concrete shower floor instead of tile. I have already installed a custom shower pan and pitched it to specs. My question is should I be concerned about the new floor cracking since it will only be 1/2" thick? If you have any other suggestions on the install, please...

Fasten stud wall to concrete basement wall [ 3 Answers ]

Planning to finishout a basement with stud walls on concrete floor. Planning to use Tapcon fasteners and treated 2x4 for bottom plate. Trying to protect for termites and moisture from the concrete. Thought about using a sill gasket. That would help the moisture but what about termites? I asked...

How can you attach a wood wall to concrete floor? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to build wood wall non bearing in a basement and attach the bottom plate to a concrete floor. What is the easiest and most secure method to do so. Should I use pressure treated wood for the bottom plate? Thanks.

Build a shower base on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys. Newbie to this website, but it looks as though it's my answer. I've got a spare bathroom in the basement that I'm installing a neo-angle shower. The catch is that the builder plumbed the bath with the drain and water inlets coming from the wall for a claw foot tub... no drain in the...

Hang concrete plaque on concrete wall [ 6 Answers ]

I hope you can help. I am pretty clueless about these things. I have a big serious retaining wall in the backyard and want to attach an 18 x 24 inch concrete decorative plaque to it. I am afraid of damaging it. Is there a way I can attach something this heavy without drilling? Thanks, Lissa

View more questions Search