Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Condor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 01:11 AM
    Horizontal to vertical drain connection
    Hello. I’m in the middle of installing a drain system for new bathroom.
    I have a 2 inch pipe running straight up from the basement to the 2nd floor bathroom.
    The vertical pipe can continue on up to vent through the roof.
    I have a shower drain that runs under a sink then needs to connect to the vertical drain.
    The shower is about 6 feet from the vertical pipe, and the sink is midway at 3 feet.
    Two questions I hope you can help with:
    1) Will I need a vacuum breaker trap at the sink because of the upstream shower?
    2) Where the drain drops to the basement, should the horizontal to vertical connection be a 45 degree Y fitting or a 90 degree T, or does it matter?

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 26, 2005, 06:32 AM
    Hi Condor,

1) Will I need a vacuum breaker trap at the sink because of the upstream shower?
    No, the shower will enter the stack vent at a lower level then the lavatory and be wet vented. However you failed to mention where the toilet discharges to. I hope it ties in lower then the shower.

2) Where the drain drops to the basement, should the horizontal to vertical connection be a 45 degree Y fitting or a 90 degree T, or does it matter

As a rule we use a DWV drainage tee. However a combo's acceptable.
    Good luck, Tom

Oct 27, 2005, 01:56 AM
    Tee's, wye's and Vents
    Tom- thanks for your answer!
    Now that you mention it, there is no toilet upstream from the shower, but I was planning on installing a bidet.
    I want to have the bidet first with a 1 ½ inch drain,
    Then 6 ft later the shower ties in with the 2 inch drain (the shower will be the step up type to allow height for the shower trap),
    Then 3 ft on the sink drain comes in with a 45 degree fitting near the floor level,
    Then another 3 ft on the 2 inch line drops via a drainage tee or combi to the 2inch vent/drain to the basement/roof vent. This last vent is only vent for the three fixtures planned.
    Is this venting plan OK? If not, I’m wondering if the vacuum breaker trap at the sink will help.
    Since the bidet would sit a bit higher than the step-up shower is that a problem?
    Many thanks!
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 28, 2005, 06:17 AM
    Condor,

I'm having a little difficulty visualizing your lay out. Would it be possible for you to draw up your lay out complete with mains,branches and vents and scan it into a post? If not I can give you my Email addy and you could send it there. Thanks Tom

Oct 31, 2005, 03:05 AM
    Drain question with sketch
    Hi,

I found a drain diagram sort of like what I am planning, but the black line I added is the pipe to the bidet on the left. I hope this makes sense.

Main questions are:
    How to avoid any problems with the bidet upstream of the shower.
    Any issues with only having the one vent shown on the right.

Thanks!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf drains.pdf (23.7 KB, 449 views)
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 31, 2005, 06:16 AM
    Nice drawing but the bidet installation's confusing. You treat a bidet just like a lavatory. It has to be trapped and vented. The distences are too great, unless you can reconfigure your fixture lay out you're going to have to run a separate vent for the bidet. Regards, tom

Oct 31, 2005, 06:22 AM
    Thanks!
    OK,
    Many Thanks!
    I'll look for a way to add a vent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement tub drain connection [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to install a tub on the concrete. The drain line was roughed under the slab, and there is a 10" X 10 " dap box that exposes the drain line. It looks to me that the P trap was not part of the rough. So I'll need to glue a P trap in, and leave the open end pointig up in the right...

Cast iron drain connection [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, we have a house built in the ealy 50's. We've torn out a small tiled shower and want to replace with a new one that doesn't leak. We have a 2" cast iron drain pipe sticking 1 1/2 inches above the house slab. What is the best way to connect a new two piece drain before we build or install new...

Shower Drain, leaking connection [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Shower stall started leaking on second floor. Ran water directly into drain with hose from outlet with no leak, so I figure that leaves only the drain connection as the leaking place. Took the drain cover off and found the "plastic" drain pipe and one-piece shower stall in good...

Tub drain (dap out) connection problem [ 6 Answers ]

After gutting and remodeling my guest bath I went to install a new tub drain though an access panel I have to the pit in my slab. Reading through the posts I think this is called the dap out. My new tub drain kit came with new pipes so when I went to unscrew the top collar on my dap out pipe,...

Shower Drain Connection [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for feedback on replacing my exixting shower drain. SHOWER - 1 piece fiberglass STUBUP - 2" ABS CURRENT CONNECTION- Brass hub w/Oakum and lead (Leaking) ALIGNMENT ISSUE- The stubup is likely slightly out of plumb in relation to the drain as the trap is butted right against the...

View more questions Search