Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terryjas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Fence with 2x6 retaining wall
    I am building a wood fence with 2" metal posts. I am going to backfill in front of the fence and am placing 2X6 pressure treated footer along the face of the posts to retain the fill. To insure that the wall remains in tact, I am placing additional short posts within the 8' fence spacing.
    The largest height of the 2X6's face will be 30".

How many total posts over an 8 ft span should be required? The posts will be set at a depth of 2 1/2 feet.

Thanks!
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 5, 2007, 06:55 PM
    I would think that every four feet (one post in the middle) should be sufficient but if it's in an area that gets a lot of water... that adds significant weight pushing the wall. If you want too... you can install "deadmen". A deadman is a piece of wood that runs perpendicular to the wall, under the soil with another piece at the back (buried) running horizontally to the wall. It acts like an anchor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retaining wall [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I have a 1.9 metre drop in elevation from my grade line on my home to the back alley and was wondering what the specs of lumber has to be tobuild a retaining wall, sections will still be 8 feet. What size posts and what thickness of planks do I have to use, and finally how far up towards...

Question(s) about replacing a Railroad Tie Retaining Wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have some time off this summer and I was thinking of replacing a rotted-out, railroad tie retaining wall we have in the front yard. I'd like to replace it with block. Here is the setup. From our driveway, there is a concrete path that curves to the front of our house (the driveway / garage...

Retaining wall replacement altenatives [ 0 Answers ]

The buyer of my home has asked we replace a large reataining wall. It is rotted and does need replacement. Our home sits below street grade, and we installed a beautiful entry stairway with the interlocking pink walls. This ends at the porch entry of the house. The wall needing replacement...

Above ground pool retaining wall [ 2 Answers ]

Please send me information regarding retaining walls for above ground pools. I am having a difficult time with my community and my above ground pool. I am going to have to install a retaining wall around me entire pool, as well as back fill dirt Could you forward any information that you may...

Wood fence mounted on concrete wall [ 4 Answers ]

Howdy all. I want to put up a wood fence, mounted on top of an existing poured concrete wall that's about 2' tall. My question is about how to connect the wooden posts to the concrete securely. I was thinking of drilling into the concrete, setting maybe 3/4" threaded bolts (using bolt-setting...

View more questions Search