Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ByteOfGlamdring Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2003, 01:56 AM
    Dual Citizenship?
    Ok, I've got a question.

My father is a natural born French citizen, living in the United States.

I am eighteen years old, born in the United States, my mother is a US Citizen, my father is a French citizen.

Would I qualify for dual citizenship because of the French with their "jus sanguinis" style policy?

If anyone can answer, I am curious to know. It's hard to really be sure, I can carry on most converstations in French, but I can barely read it, or write it, so the internet is not much help in my search. Most english sites aren't concerned with the nuances of French citizenship.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    IndiaStarker Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2004, 04:55 AM
    Dual Citizenship?
    I just joined so I hope you already found your answer. You have the right to French citizenship, in fact it is automatic.

I quote SOS-Net Etrangers:
    Si vous avez au moins un parent français :
    Vous êtes automatiquement français, que vous soyez né en France ou à l’étranger.

I translate:
    If you have at least one French parent, you are are automatically French, whether you are born in France or abroad.

Source: http://sos-net.eu.org/etrangers/indexetr.htm.

Its just paperwork now. If you haven't already done so you could start here: consulat général - Service de l'état à New York : (212) 606-3651 ou (212) 606-3637.

But your question asked about dual citizenship. Now that you know that you are French, the question is are you allowed to keep your American citizenship once you get your French papers? The answer is yes, but I don't have a written source.

I had read somewhere a subtlety about this but no longer have the source. The subtely was: If a country gives you citzenship without your having asked for it
    --this is your case since yours is granted automatically--
    Then the US has nothing to say. However, if one asks for citizenship of another country
    --this is my case--
    The US may remove your US citizenship. However this appears not to be so...

I asked someone at the US embassy here in Paris if I (who am not French but married to a French man) could ask for French citizenship and keep my American citizenship and he said yes, the US cannot take my US citizenship away for having obtained French citizenship.

I do have a source for this next item :
    You can even vote in France (if you lived here) without losing your Amercian citizenship, since 1978.

I quote:
    En 1967, une décision de la Cour Suprême des Etats-Unis, suivie en 1978 par un vote du Congrès, a fait en sorte que nul ne peut être déchu de sa nationalité américaine pour avoir pris part aux éléctions de son autre patrie, s'il n'a lui même, auparavant, déclaré vouloir y renoncer.

I translate:
    In 1967, a decision by the US Supreme court, followed by a congressional vote in 1978, declared that no-one could have their US citizenship removed for having voted in an election in his other country, unless he had at some time expressly declared the wish to renounce his US citizenship.

Source: http://www.france-amerique.com/guide...itdevoir7.html

-an American in Paris
    dragonfly3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2004, 05:59 AM
    Dual Citizenship?
    Thank you for that wonderful information. I am having a problem with this site and this is the only way I can respond to you; hopefully it will post online!

Since my first posting, I have learned some new information. Perhaps, since you live in Paris, you could help me?

My mother was born in American Hospital in Paris in 1920 to (as you already read?) a French mother and American father. When he left France, he took my mother with him. I believe my grandparents divorced. My grandmother remained in her native France with one daughter and my mother came to USA with her American father. In order for him to take her with him, he had to register at the Embassy (which means that she was registered as an American citizen at the Embassy and she would have obtained a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.)

So, from what I understand, she was made a US citizen. From what I've been told, she may not have dual citizenship. Do you have any idea who I could contact there (who speaks English) who could help me?

I am also trying to get a copy of her birth certificate and the consular report of birth abroad; any ideas?

I would appreciate your help.

Thank you!
    IndiaStarker Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2004, 09:12 AM
    Dual Citizenship?
    Hello Dragonfly,
    I wasn't notified of your post for whatever reason. You may find the links I placed my other posts in the section US-France Dual Citizenship helpful.
    Did you get what you need? If not, the following might help.

From the on line phone book (http://www.pagesjaunes.fr)

AMERICAN HOSPITAL OF PARIS  
    63 bd Victor Hugo 92200 Neuilly sur Seine
    01 46 41 25 25

As you can see, today the American Hospital is in Neuilly s/Seine. You'll have to do some research to see where it was in 1920. The normal procedure to receive a birth certificate is to write a request to the town hall (mairie) where the birth took place. The section (rubrique) you want is

Le service de l'état civil

If your mother was born in Neuilly S/ Seine then the complete instructions are found here:
    http://www.ville-neuillysurseine.fr/.../document.html

Basically it says to send a self-addressed stamped enveloppe to
    Mairie de Neuilly-sur-Seine - Etat civil
    96 av Achille Peretti
    92200 Neuilly sur Seine

(Again, address is from the on-line phone book.)

They also include a phone number if you are up to calling. (We are 6 hours ahead of EST, call in the am).

Request an "extrait d'acte de naissance"

Include, I quote:
    Pièces à fournir
    • Indiquer date et lieu de naissance, nom, prénoms et nom et prénoms des parents (nom de jeune fille pour la mère).
    • Joindre la photocopie d'une pièce d'identité et une enveloppe timbrée pour la réponse.

I translate:
    • Date and place of birth, last name and given names and last names and given names of the parents, specifying the maiden name for the mother.
    • A photocopy of your ID (a passport would be good -- driver's licences are not really considered ID here) and a self-addressed stamped enveloppe. (That might be the trickiest part--don't know how you'll manage it. Ask your post office? Need a 0.90 euro stamp.)

Obviously you should specify that you are the daughter. Basically something like the following should be fine.
    Best regards,
    India.

Mairie de Neuilly-sur-Seine - Etat civil
    96 av Achille Peretti
    92200 Neuilly sur Seine
    1 septembre 2004
    city, state, USA

Monsieur, Madame,

Je vous demande un extrait d'acte de naissance de ma mère décédée.

Née à Neuilly sur Seine, le <day> <month> <year>.

De père :

<last name in caps> <first and middle names>

Et mère :

<maiden name in caps> <fist and middle names>

Je vous remercie d'avance de votre attention. Veuillez agréer, Monsieur, Madame, mes salutations distinguées.

your name
    your signature

Ci-jointe : photocopie de mon passeport

gr8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2004, 11:46 AM
    French or UK citizen?
    Hi
    Am an Indian citizen, studying in the UK. I have a French boyfriend. If we got married here in the UK, what does that make me, a UK or French citizen? Please help as we plan to get married this christmas.
    Thanks!
    Franceroxmyworld Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2004, 02:56 PM
    Dear Gr8,

You are niether a UK or French citizen when you get married, however, if you get married to a French citizen(your boyfriend, I assume he is a French citizen), then you may apply to become a French citizen, you must be married for 12 months before you can apply. I hope this helps. Best luck with your wedding :)

-Ben
    globetrottinghellraiser Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Feb 22, 2005, 11:51 AM
    Anyone applied as a spouse for French citizenship?
    I'm trying to find someone who has been through this process who can tell me their experience. I applied for French citizenship at a French embassy in the US 16 months ago. After a year, I received a letter requesting my parents' birth certificates and marriage certificate, which I sent. Then I received a print out of information about me (date of birth, parents info, spuse, etc.) to sign and return, which I did. What I can't figure out is what the hell happens next, or how long this whole thing is likely to take. Would be grateful to hear anyone else's story. Thanks.
    frgrenouille Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2005, 02:02 PM
    Citizenship and draft
    I just joined so I don't know how to post a question other than reply to thread. I have three questions. I am a "Française d'origine" (French citizen) married to an American. I have two children.
    1) My daughter Michelle will be 18 this Thursday. She and my son are both on my passport for now. If she get her own French passport, does she become only a French citizen or does she automatically have dual citizenship. If she does have dual citizenship, what are the consequence/liabilities re social security, taxes, etc... in both countries?
    2) My son is 16 and just received a letter from the French Consulate in Atlanta for an orientation session to register for military service in France. I know he does not want to do that. I don't want him to have anything to do with guns or the army either. Does that mean he needs to relinquish his French citizenship? If so, how do you go about it?
    3) Several people have told me that I needed to check my status with Social Security. They said that as a non-US citizen, I might not be able to collect when I retire and that I might have problems with inheritance if my husband were to die. I am totally in the dark about that. I have been paying taxes for years and have never worked in France as I married while still in college.
    Does anyone have answers to all these questions?
    Giselle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2005, 09:41 PM
    Help.. need to get my original birth certificate but don't speak french!!
    I was born at the American Hospital in Neuilly sur Seine in 1978.
    I do not have a copy of my original birth certificate. What I do have is a photo copy AND IT IS IN FRENCH, which is useless to me because I now live in Los Angeles.
    I am applying for my green card as I married an american and need to furnish my ORIGINAL birth certificate.
    How do I go about getting this since
    1. I do not speak french so calling would be quite difficult
    2. I live in America...
    3. I just have no idea who to even call..

Please please help me.

Thanks,
    Giselle
    tarisha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2005, 03:40 AM
    Little help here
    I was born in france in 1984 and I have been trying to find out how/if I could obtain a french passport so if there is anyone out there who can help me, you help will be really appreciated. Thanks
    jpark Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 09:23 PM
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.
    ddunn49 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2006, 10:20 PM
    I think the first thing you should do regarding your citizen questions is try to speak to someone at a French consulate office. I do not know where you live, but if you do a Google search for the consulate, you could call and ask how to obtain information.

It is always best to get this information directly from the authorities responsible for it. I don’t think your questions should be trusted to responders to an internet program.

Your question regarding social security should be directed to Social Security. They have an incredible website with lots of information. Good luck.
    ddunn49 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2006, 10:23 PM
    I think the first thing you should do is try to speak to someone at a French consulate office regarding your questions about french citizenship. I do not know where you live, but if you do a Google search for the consulate, you could call and ask how to obtain information.

It is always best to get this information directly from the authorities responsible for it. I don’t think your questions should be trusted to responders to an internet program.

Your question regarding social security should be directed to Social Security. They have an incredible website with lots of information.

Good luck.
    caieraws Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteOfGlamdring
    Ok, I've got a question.

My father is a natural born French citizen, living in the United States.

I am eighteen years old, born in the United States, my mother is a US Citizen, my father is a French citizen.

Would I qualify for dual citizenship because of the French with their "jus sanguinis" style policy?

If anyone can answer, I am curious to know. It's hard to really be sure, I can carry on most converstations in French, but I can barely read it, or write it, so the internet is not much help in my search. Most english sites aren't concerned with the nuances of French citizenship.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    Yes, you would, but you will still have to go through the red tape.

There are not, however, any additional things that you will be required to produce in order to attain dual-citizenship.

I must warn you, however, that the united states frowns down upon dual citizenship very much.
    PoliticallyCorrect Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Oct 28, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frgrenouille
    I just joined so I don't know how to post a question other than reply to thread. I have three questions. I am a "Française d'origine" (French citizen) married to an American. I have two children.
    1) My daughter Michelle will be 18 this Thursday. She and my son are both on my passport for now. If she get her own French passport, does she become only a French citizen or does she automatically have dual citizenship. If she does have dual citizenship, what are the consequence/liabilities re social security, taxes, etc... in both countries?
    2) My son is 16 and just received a letter from the French Consulate in Atlanta for an orientation session to register for military service in France. I know he does not want to do that. I don't want him to have anything to do with guns or the army either. Does that mean he needs to relinquish his French citizenship? If so, how do you go about it?
    3) Several people have told me that I needed to check my status with Social Security. They said that as a non-US citizen, I might not be able to collect when I retire and that I might have problems with inheritance if my husband were to die. I am totally in the dark about that. I have been paying taxes for years and have never worked in France as I married while still in college.
    Does anyone have answers to all these questions?
    1) if your children are on your French passport, they already have French citizenship. If they were born in the USA they are forced to have US citizenship although they can renounce this at the age of 18. Whilst they have US citizenship, they are required to file a US tax return every single year whether they live in the US or not.

2) Being called up for military service is one of the drawbacks of French ciitizenship. However, you might want to look into what is involved before relinquishing this as it allows you to live and work anywhere in the EU.

3) You will not have problems collecting your social security but you will have problems with inheritance if your husband were to die first. Foreign spouses are not given the marital examption. There are several ways to deal with this problem.
    Stephen Gorevan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiaStarker
    I just joined so I hope you already found your answer. You have the right to French citizenship, in fact it is automatic.

I quote SOS-Net Etrangers:
    Si vous avez au moins un parent français :
    Vous êtes automatiquement français, que vous soyez né en France ou à l’étranger.

I translate:
    If you have at least one French parent, you are are automatically French, whether you are born in France or abroad.

Source: Droit des étrangers : SOS-Net Étrangers en France.

Its just paperwork now. If you haven't already done so you could start here: consulat général - Service de l'état à New York : (212) 606-3651 ou (212) 606-3637.

But your question asked about dual citizenship. Now that you know that you are French, the question is are you allowed to keep your American citizenship once you get your French papers? The answer is yes, but I don't have a written source.

I had read somewhere a subtlety about this but no longer have the source. The subtely was: If a country gives you citzenship without your having asked for it
    --this is your case since yours is granted automatically--
    then the US has nothing to say. However, if one asks for citizenship of another country
    --this is my case--
    the US may remove your US citizenship. However this appears not to be so...

I asked someone at the US embassy here in Paris if I (who am not French but married to a French man) could ask for French citizenship and keep my American citizenship and he said yes, the US cannot take my US citizenship away for having obtained French citizenship.

I do have a source for this next item :
    You can even vote in France (if you lived here) without losing your Amercian citizenship, since 1978.

I quote:
    En 1967, une décision de la Cour Suprême des Etats-Unis, suivie en 1978 par un vote du Congrès, a fait en sorte que nul ne peut être déchu de sa nationalité américaine pour avoir pris part aux éléctions de son autre patrie, s'il n'a lui même, auparavant, déclaré vouloir y renoncer.

I translate:
    In 1967, a decision by the US Supreme court, followed by a congressional vote in 1978, declared that no-one could have their US citizenship removed for having voted in an election in his other country, unless he had at some time expressly declared the wish to renounce his US citizenship.

Source: http://www.france-amerique.com/guide...itdevoir7.html

-an American in Paris
    Are you saying that the French parent must still be living? My mother was a war bride, she married a US
    GI (my father) just after the war. Both parents are now deceased. Am I entitled to French Citizenship?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Applying for dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a first generation american. My father is from Germany and my mother is a green card holder from france. I am desperately seeking information on how to obtain either an eu passport or a french passport. The web has not been very helpful and I have written many e:mails and placed...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My father and grandparents were born in Paris, France. I was born in the United States, where I now live. I am interested in dual citizenship with France and the U.S. for studying purposes. I live in Philadelphia, but I believe the French Embassy is in New York. Does anyone have any...

Dual citizenship us/austria [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My boyfriend is us citizen, I'm austrian citizen I've been here in the us as an au pair for almost 2 years now. After I'll finish my two years as an au pair in January, he will have his bachelor degree and then we both want to go to austria to study. My question is, when we get married,...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I am a French national and a permanent resident in the US. My husband is American. Apparently, there are tax advantages to my becoming an American citizen. What are the consequences, if any, from the French government's point of view of obtaining US citizenship? Has anyone gone through this...

View more questions Search