What is the difference between a J trap and a P trap?

Asked Aug 28, 2010, 11:29 AM 2 Answers
    Have heard and seen the terms S trap, P trap and J trap used. Understand the S trap is found in most toilets. Have no clear idea of the difference between the three.

>E-mail Removed<

Last edited by Curlyben; Aug 28, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,513, Reputation: 4591

#2

Aug 28, 2010, 11:48 AM

Please don't post an email address. It's against the rules.
    speedball1's Avatar
    speedball1 Posts: 28,583, Reputation: 1908
    Senior Plumbing Expert

#3

Aug 28, 2010, 01:36 PM

Quote Originally Posted by harleyguy38 View Post

>E-mail Removed<
    Here you go! A "P" trap,(see image) is the one most used today. There is no "J" trap but a "J" bend,(see image) is the removable part of a "P" trap.
    The "S" trap .(see image) Is curved like the letter S and has no vent.
    Does that answer your question? Cheers. Tom
    Attached Images

Difference between p-trap and s-trap because of any plmbing reasons [ 2 Answers ]

Ia there any plukmbing reason to use a P-trap than a S-trap?? If so, what is it?

Double trap OK? Rough in piping + tub trap [ 10 Answers ]

The way the 2" rough in went we ended up with a trap of sorts then a pipe to where the tub trap will be. Not completed yet. Just wondering if a tub trap and a trap made with the rough in piping will cause some sort of problem. The rough in trap was made off a 4x4x2 wye. Would that be adequate...

What is the difference between an S-trap and a P-trap? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new faucet installed by a professional plumber and he made mention of these terms. The house is 28 yrs old and all the plumbing is original. Are there new standards, equipment in plumbing for the home? Advise and Thanks.

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...