Test for Grohe shower valve cartridge leak?

Asked Dec 17, 2009, 10:40 AM
    I have a grohe shower valve that has a slow leak, it only leaks for a little bit after a shower. Seems to be worse when my son showers, not sure why. Is there a way I can tell for sure it's the cartridge before I spend $70 on a non-returnable part? This valve was purchased in 1995, so no lifetime warranty.

I've got no problem changing it out (I think) - I just want to feel confident that it will fix the problem. I'm not sure what else it might be -

Update - I've taken off the drywall so I can see the back of the valve. No visible drip from the valve body, but water is pooling up in the bottom of the escutcheon. Maybe the escutcheon gasket is the problem?

Last edited by delmarjeff; Dec 17, 2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Add update about leak source

Moen cartridge- bad leak from shower head [ 13 Answers ]

I have a Moen in my shower and a spout with a diverter. When I run the water with the diverter open, there is still a lot of water coming from the shower head. The only thing I can think of is that the water pressure is so strong that the water just gradually builds up and comes out of the head.?...

Identifying shower mixer valve cartridge [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there I need to replace the cartridge in a shower mixer valve but every plumbing supplier just scratches their head when they see it. I just need the black part. The brass part of the valve is just for context. The actual problem is the rubber equalizer disk is ripped. It's normally in the...

Replacing moen shower faucet cartridge valve [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1988 moen single handle shower faucet that won't stop dripping. I took it apart, removed the u-shaped pin, but how do I remove the cartridge to replace the washers?

Price Pfister Shower Cartridge Leak [ 0 Answers ]

My shower head leaks continuously... I was told that the cartridge needs to be replaced. I was able to get it out, but non of the local hardware stores carry it in stock. I would like to be able to turn the main water line back on for our home. After putting the "old cartridge" back into the...

I need to reinstall the cartridge in a shower mixer valve [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I need to reinstall the cartridge in a shower mixer valve. I have removed the black part and have the new piece but I don't remember how to install the black part again. I believe this a Foremost shower. The last photo is how I think it should be installed. Can anyone confirm this?...