Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patrincia Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2005, 08:41 PM
    Help: Toilet tanks too FAR from wall.
    Thanks so much for this site, it is very informative!

We are about to close on a new construction home. This house is located out of state, and we just discovered that the 3 toilets have been placed 2½", 4½", and 6" away from the wall. The builder said they were placed that way because of the floor joists, but that sounds like he just doesn't want to fix the problem to me.

I did some research and learned about 10", 12", and 14" rough-ins. We are waiting to find out what size toilets were installed. Assuming they used the standard 12", I know changing the fixture to a 14" rough-in toilet will correct some of the spacing issues, but I was wondering if an offset flange could also be added without disturbing the ceramic tile flooring?

I'd like to sound knowledgeable on the issue when talking to the builder about correcting this situation. I'd appreciate any assistance anyone can give.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 25, 2005, 07:30 AM
    The Builder Oughta Take his Act On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrincia
    Thanks so much for this site, it is very informative!

We are about to close on a new construction home. This house is located out of state, and we just discovered that the 3 toilets have been placed 2½", 4½", and 6" away from the wall. The builder said they were placed that way because of the floor joists, but that sounds like he just doesn't want to fix the problem to me.

I did some research and learned about 10", 12", and 14" rough-ins. We are waiting to find out what size toilets were installed. Assuming they used the standard 12", I know changing the fixture to a 14" rough-in toilet will correct some of the spacing issues, but I was wondering if an offset flange could also be added without disturbing the ceramic tile flooring?

I'd like to sound knowledgeable on the issue when talking to the builder about correcting this situation. I'd appreciate any assistance anyone can give.
    Good morning Patty,

Tippty-tap, shuffle and slide! I hope you're enjoying the soft shoe tapdance the builder's giving you because that's all his excuses are. Unless they are special order toilets are normally a 12" rough in. Let me
    give you another explanation. The plumber missed the walls on layout, not once but three times. Even if the floor joists were in the way, (and they often are) they could have been headed off to accommodate the toilet rough in. A offset flange is used when the plumber missed by a inch or so but 4 to 6" offset flanges are just begging for trouble. And yes the tile would have to come up to install them. Six inches off the wall and all the builder's giving you is a song and dance? Next he will be attempting to snow you that a "island toilet" is the latest thing. The plumber screwed up, the contractor doesn't want to eat the cost of making it right and you're left with bathrooms that look like they they were plumbed by Cuckles The Clown.
    My advice? Do notclose on this house until EVERYTHING is installed to your satisfaction. Stick by your guns! You're in the right! Good luck, Tom
    Patrincia Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2005, 07:50 AM
    Tom,

Thanks so much for your advise... you confirmed our suspisions! How can we find out whether the toilets (or anything else for that matter) meet "code" in the county that the house is located in? Will a general house inspector be knowledgeable enough, or is there some kind of city official that we should contact?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 25, 2005, 08:13 AM
    Don't Close!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrincia
    Tom,

Thanks so much for your advise... you confirmed our suspisions! How can we find out whether or not the toilets (or anything else for that matter) meet "code" in the county that the house is located in? Will a general house inspector be knowledgeable enough, or is there some kind of city official that we should contact?
    A complaint to the BBB, (Better Business Bureau} should get some action. In the meantime refuse to close until it's been repaired. Has the house been CO'd by the inspector yet? Do not accept shoddy workmanship. As a home buyer you don't have to. Hang in there! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement toilet drain 14" from wall :( [ 4 Answers ]

Am tackling putting in a bathroom in the basement. Walls are already up, but I noticed now that the center of the drain for the toilet is around 14" from the studs (drywall yet to go on). Is a seemingly simple installation now going to be a more major undertaking? I'm relatively new at this and...

Help! Toilet Too Close To Wall! [ 3 Answers ]

The toilet in our upstairs bathroom has been installed too cose to the wall. The lid to the bowl won't even go on completely because there is not any clearance between the back of the tank and the wall. I measured from the closet bolts (?) to the wall and it measured 11 1/2". What are my options...

Space between toilet drain and bathroom wall [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Tom, I'm in the process of framing my basement and the last thing I need to do is the bathroom. I think you've told me on here before that the center of the toilet drain to the wall should be 12 inches but when I measure the center to where I'll be putting the wall, based on where the...

Toilet Flange from Frame of Wall [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement and I was wondering how far to put the frame of the wall away from the center of my toilet flang? Thanks

Toilet to close to wall [ 7 Answers ]

I'm in the process of the replacing the toilet in a basement bathroom. The new toilet will not fit because the center of the flange is only 9 1/2 inches from the wall, rather than twelve. I broke all the concrete around the pipe. It is cast iron. What is the best way to move the flange 2 1/2...

View more questions Search