Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erikmead Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Toilet fill valve
    I replaced the fill valve in my toilet and the water will not fill up in the tank. When I disconnect the pipe between the shut off and tank, I can turn the water "on" and nothing happens. The sink and shower both work but the water won't go to the toilet. What can I do to fix this problem?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Do you get a grinding sound when you open and close the shut-off?

This is usually indicative of debris in the shut-off, usually rust and scale if the water piping is galvanized pipe.
    skater44 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by erikmead
    I replaced the fill valve in my toilet and the water will not fill up in the tank. When I disconnect the pipe between the shut off and tank, I can turn the water "on" and nothing happens. The sink and shower both work but the water won't go to the toilet. What can I do to fix this problem?
    I'ves had the same problem and I found dirt the shut off valve itself.I turned off water supply and took off the shut off and cleaned and it was fine
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 23, 2007, 10:04 AM
    "When I disconnect the pipe between the shut off and tank, I can turn the water "on" and nothing happens. "

Growler correctly assumed that you dislodged some crud built up in your pipe walls and not it's clogging the seat of the angle stop. The solution to this would be to shut the water off at the house stop and remove the angle stop.
    Have someone hold a bucket over the open pipe wile you turn the water back on for a moment to flush out the supply line. You should have a strong stream. Now check and clean the angle stop seat before you reassemble and test. BTW, What kind of pipes do you have? Plastic, copper or galvanized? Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

400C fill valve installed but toilet is running [ 13 Answers ]

Hello. I recently installed a Fluidmaster 400C valve into my toilet. The toilet will periodically run or sound as if it is filling with water. I have tried adjusting the fill valve and the float cup but nothing seems to be working. Can anyone provide me with any insight as to how to stop...

Toilet bowl does not fill why? [ 18 Answers ]

The toilet works,tank fills and it flushes,but the bowl gets no water?what is up with this?

My toilet won't fill up? [ 3 Answers ]

Yesterdαy my pipes were frozen αnd thαnk-you Tom the heαt tαpe worked! However now my toilet won't fill up.. whαt to do now?

Toilet won't fill up [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help please! My toilet won't fill up, it's quite a new toilet and has the push button flush on the top of the tank, I can't get the top off to look inside to see what the problem is can anyone inform me what the problem may be and how to remove the top?

Toilet won't fill up [ 0 Answers ]

Can someone help please! My toilet won't fill up, it's quite a new toilet and has the push button flush on the top of the tank, I can't get the top off to look inside to see what the problem is can anyone inform me what the problem may be and how to remove the top?

View more questions Search