Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nailguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Howling Composite Deck
    I have a customer who built a deck on the back of his house. The deck is about 8 feet off the ground. The house sits up on a hill and gets a fair amount of wind. The problem is that when the wind hits the side of the house it is forced up underneath the deck and blows upward. The result is what I call the beer bottle or jug effect. Somehow either the gap between the deck boards is just right or there's some kind of gap somewhere in the joists and a low pitched howling noise results. Any suggestions? The contractor/homeowner that built the house is calling it a design flaw in the deck board and wants the manufacturer to pay for replacement materials and labor.

HELP!

Tom
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Just a thought. Could you nail lattice under the deck to the floor joist. A lattice lid. It might break the wind enough to stop the jug effect but still allow it to drain and dry out.
    Texvette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 10:37 PM
    I had the same problem. I had to place boards (essentially a deck underneath my deck) to stop the noise

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to replace my deck belt on my troybilt 17hr. 42' deck belt diagram [ 4 Answers ]

I need to replace my deck belt on troybilt 17hr. 42' riding lawnmover. Be nice to have a diagram

Composite decking - Trek vs. Procell; Fair price for deck piles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there Any opinions on whether to use Trek or Procell for large composite deck at the beach? Any thoughts on a fair price for 20' deck pile vibrated 10' into sandy ground at Jersey Shore? Any input appreciated MCC

Composite Decking saw blade [ 12 Answers ]

The manufacturer (Evergrain) recommends 2 teeth per inch. Would that mean an 80 tooth 12" chop saw blade and 40 tooth 7.25" circular saw blade? From ThisOldHouse.com - "To cut composite or plastic decking, manufacturers recommend using carbide-tipped saw blades with 18 to 24 teeth per inch, to...

Composite Decking [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing wood deck. Would like to replace the floor boards, railing and stair system with a composite material. Live by the ocean so need a product that will withstand the elements. Heard of Trex, Veranda, Fiberglass--any advice on these or other products would be appreciated.

View more questions Search