Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjteach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2005, 11:45 AM
    Help! Toilet Too Close To Wall!
    The toilet in our upstairs bathroom has been installed too cose to the wall. The lid to the bowl won't even go on completely because there is not any clearance between the back of the tank and the wall. I measured from the closet bolts (?) to the wall and it measured 11 1/2". What are my options for fixing this? Do I need a new toilet... or is there a different type of flange I should be looking into? I appreciate any advice.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2005, 12:04 PM
    Too Close?
    Quote Originally Posted by jjteach
    The toilet in our upstairs bathroom has been installed too cose to the wall. The lid to the bowl won't even go on completly because their is not any clearance between the back of the tank and the wall. I measured from the closet bolts (?) to the wall and it measured 11 1/2". What are my options for fixing this? Do I need a new toilet... or is there a different type of flange I should be looking into? I appreciate any advice.
    Hey Teach,
    Save your money. You don't need a new toilet or a different flange.
    11 1/2" from center to the wall is a acceptable set for a toilet. Normal is 12" and we leave a safety margin. If the tank isn't trying to push through the wall the toilet's set correctly.
    The clearance between the tank and the wall has nothing to do with the seat, unlesss the tank's leaning forward so far it interferes with the operation of the seat. And if that's the case then the tank should be loosened and reset correctly.
    In my master bath,( which is HER bath) I had a seat that would not stay up. She loved it. Called it her "lady friendly" seat. I got tired of holding it up and fixed it by loosening the seat bolts and sliding the seat forward twards the front of the bowl as far as possible and then locking down the bolts.
    This should work for you. If it don't click on back and describe your problem in detail. Cheers, Tom
    jdsad2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 09:38 AM
    They make a 10" rough in toilet
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 12, 2011, 06:45 PM
    jdsad2008: you are answering 6 year old post. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement toilet drain 14" from wall :( [ 4 Answers ]

Am tackling putting in a bathroom in the basement. Walls are already up, but I noticed now that the center of the drain for the toilet is around 14" from the studs (drywall yet to go on). Is a seemingly simple installation now going to be a more major undertaking? I'm relatively new at this and...

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

Toilet Flange from Frame of Wall [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement and I was wondering how far to put the frame of the wall away from the center of my toilet flang? Thanks

Toilet to close to wall [ 7 Answers ]

I'm in the process of the replacing the toilet in a basement bathroom. The new toilet will not fit because the center of the flange is only 9 1/2 inches from the wall, rather than twelve. I broke all the concrete around the pipe. It is cast iron. What is the best way to move the flange 2 1/2...

Help: Toilet tanks too FAR from wall. [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks so much for this site, it is very informative! We are about to close on a new construction home. This house is located out of state, and we just discovered that the 3 toilets have been placed 2½", 4½", and 6" away from the wall. The builder said they were placed that way because of the...

View more questions Search