Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dellarip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Just switched to AC on Heat Pump - compressor trouble
    Need some help. Last night I decided to turn on my heat pump to the cool cycle for the 1st time this season. When I turned it on, the compressor starting clicking and then blew the breaker inside. I decided to go outside and reset the breaker on the control box and then threw the breaker inside back on. The fan on the compressor starting spinning and all seemed fine for a while, but then the unit kicked off and tried to kick back on again.. this is where the crap hit the fan. The compressor tripped the inside breaker again and when I went to throw it back on, it seems like the current arcs inside the air handler and the breaker goes off again. Each time I try to throw the breaker (inside) on I get the same result. Seems like the current is arcing back into the house perhaps and grounding out on the evaporator. Would this be a Run Capacitor issue do you think?

At 1st I thought It was the transformer inside the air handler, but then I realized that the fan motor wouldn't be working if that was the case, right? Any help would be appreciated.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 10, 2007, 01:36 PM
    I do not think it is a run capacitor causing this. Actually it sounds serious. You can try to isolate the parts one at a time to see which one is really causing the problem. Sounds like you have a dead short to ground and I would not be surprised if the compressor was bad.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 09:15 PM
    I agree with hvac1000. What model is the unit?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump compressor failure ? [ 1 Answers ]

Our heat pump started making a funny sound, like it wanted to start but would stall out. The fan was workingg though, the unit was not cov'd in ice, the pipes outside were cool to touch,the aux heat was already on, which is normal , as it has been very cold here, the heat was keeping up to what...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat pump thermostat trouble [ 4 Answers ]

When I place my thermostat in cool setting it runs for a couple of moments with cool air. Then the emergency heat light comes on and unit blows hot air. The thermostat remains in cool setting.

Heat & A/C are switched - help? [ 1 Answers ]

I wired my new thermostat all by myself and was very proud indeed. It works GREAT - there is only a little problem. If I want heat I must turn the thermostat to "cool" and if I want the a/c then I must turn the thermostat to "heat". I know that there must be two wires switched - but which ones? ...

Heat Pump compressor fan problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE 1000 heat pump manuf. In 2002. Yesterday, the A/C started having a problem, I checked the units inside and out and found the compressor fan not operating. The outside unit was hot and louder than usual. I turned it off overnight and this morning turned it on to find the fan...

View more questions Search