Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktgloving Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2005, 04:52 PM
    Main pipe backup
    Hi, I am new and I have a question about a backup in my main drain. I am don't know plumber lingo so bear with me. The problem is I bought this house in 2003, the first year there was a backup when we would run the washer.we called a plumber and he snaked it out and found roots, he told us that it could just happen once and if it happens again we would need to have someone dig and tear up the roots and I guess run a new pipe line at a astronomical cost of about 2 grand. Well I ran the washer back to back today and notice that both drains had overflowed this time, instead of the one that overflowed last time unfortunately we just don't have that type of money laying around. Are there any other solutions that can fix my problem for a much cheaper price or am I stuck. Also one other thing at one point our kitchen sink was not draining and the told us that is because it was not vented when they put in the new sink, could that be part of my problem :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2005, 05:15 PM
    Try, not a plumber, but a drain cleaner. I have had good luck with Roto Router. They can run not just a snake, but a 4'' cutter down the drain and cut all the roots out. The roots will grow back. You can hold them at bay with root destroyer from the hardware or home center.

The sink is another problem. Was the new sink before or after you bought the house? Was it by a licensed professional? It is difficult to remain a licensed professional if you violate code regularly. If it was a new sink in the same place using the same drain, it should have still been vented. Do you have trouble with drains gurgling?
    ktgloving Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2005, 04:12 AM
    Main drain
    Yes I do have gurgling in the pipes
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 4, 2005, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ktgloving
    hi, i am new and i have a question about a backup in my main drain. i am don't know plumber lingo so bear with me. the problem is i bought this house in 2003, the first year there was a backup when we would run the washer.we called a plumber and he snaked it out and found roots, he told us that it could just happen once and if it happens again we would need to have someone dig and tear up the roots and i guess run a new pipe line at a astronomical cost of about 2 grand. well i ran the washer back to back today and notice that both drains had overflowed this time, instead of the one that overflowed last time unfortunately we just don't have that type of money laying around. are there any other solutions that can fix my problem for a much cheaper price or am i stuck. Also one other thing at one point our kitchen sink was not draining and the told us that is because it was not vented when they put in the new sink, could that be part of my problem :confused:
    Labman gave you good advice. Rotor Rooter can clean out those roots but how do you keep them out? Going in, let me say that sooner or later you're going to have to bite the bullet and get that line repaired. But to keep them under control you could try, RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic.

A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Your kitchen sink is another story. If it's unvented you should have it checked out at once. Vents are very important to a plumbing system. Let me explain about vents. The best example I can give in take a straw and place in a glass of water. Now put your thumb over the straw and pull it out of the water. Is it full of water? Now take your thumb off. You have just vented that straw. When you pull a plug or flush a toilet the water going down the pipe sets up a suction. This has to be relieved by outside air. Hence a pipe through your roof. If the vent is blocked by a birds nest, dead critter, or just isn't there the water will pull suction through the nearest trap and you will hear a gurgle. It may be a fixture trap or the toilet may talk to you but you will hear it someplace. While it is possible for the suction to pull enough water out of a trap to have sewer gas escape but it's more likely a smell will come from decaying food, grease or hair. But why take chances? Sewer gas is hazardous to your health and the methane content makes sewer gas explosive. If you find that the sink is indeed unvented don't panic, you don't have to run a vent up through the roof. They make a mechanical vent that can be installed just after the trap in your cabinet. If you would like more information on mechanical vents, click on back. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

Backup in downstairs toilet-basement washer-outside main drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having (in my opinion) a major plumbing disaster. I have a 2 story house with 2 and 1/2 bathrooms & basement. I have backup in my downstairs toilet (it hasn't overflowed---YET--but pretty close). I also have backup to the tippy top of my washer-which is located in the basement. I...

Pipe backup with laundry use [ 1 Answers ]

We recently moved into a home built in the 50's. Every time we do laundry there is a sewer/drain hole that spews out foul smelling water (in the basement). This happens after before the rinse cycle when the water is drained from the machine. We do not have a backup in our wash basin, only from this...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Backup [ 1 Answers ]

I have Server Dell 4400 power edge OS: NT 4 Server with Service Pack 6 Tape Drive: Compaq DLT7000 External Backup Software: Arc Serve 2000 When I take the backup, it starts successfully and after finishing the First tape it asks for the second tape to continue, when we insert second Tape....

View more questions Search