Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lguiot Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 07:51 PM
    No water pressure in downstairs faucet after replacement.
    I just replaced the faucet in my downstairs bathroom and when I turned the faucet on the first time the water pressure was fine, then I adjusted the handles under the sink because if I opened the hot all the way it dripped. When I turned the faucet back on I have almost no pressure (a little more than a trickle).
    Before I started I shut the water off at the main valve inside. (No water ran in the whole house.) When I turned it back on I could hear the water run.
    The water is running again in all the rest of the house (including the downstairs shower) - except the washer will not run water. The sink in the downstairs bathroom and the washer are back to back (same pipes?)
    Please help!
    Thank you - Lou
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 03:57 AM
    Do you have old galvanized piping?
    lguiot Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Doug -
    To update my question and answer yours - the water in my washer does run. (I didn't have the knob turned around to the ON position - how's that for genius?) I'm not sure about the galvanized pipes - I know the ones I replaced under the sink were copper.
    Last night I disconnected the flexible tube from the hot water pipe under the sink. I didn't have the valve in the off position and I can say there is absolutely nothing blocking the hot water supply to the flexible tube. (I used every beach towel in the house to sop up the water.)
    So the blockage has to be between the hot water pipe under the sink and the faucet. Tonight I am going to take the faucet out and see if I can find what is blocking the water.
    (Now if I can just remember which is the off position for the valves under the sink!)
    Thank you and wish me luck ;)
    Lou
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 3, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Hey Lou,
    What you have done is disturb some crud built up in the pipe walls and now it's blocking the flow in the faucet. Before you open up the faucet remove the aerator and check and clean the screens. While you have the aerator off turn the water back on. Is there a strong stream? Regards, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Sounds like the washer at the stop [turn off valve] may have broken up and is clogging the inlet or the supply. Disconnect it at the top of the stop and hit it with back pressure through the faucet from the other side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure loss after faucet replacement in kitchen [ 11 Answers ]

We replaced the Kitchen faucet because the old one had a water leakage. Since we change to the new faucet the Water pressure has dropped dramatically. We checked both the hot and cold water valves they were fully open. Any ideas.

Water line replacement = entire house low water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a water line break in my front yard. The city replaced the line but ever since (immediately following the water being turned back on) the water pressure has been significantly lower throughout the house in both the hot and cold. I checked and the valve is completely open so I am...

Water pressure tank replacement questions [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my well pump short cycling because the water pressure tank has some sort of blockage in it and will not allow water to enter the tank. I read Speedball's solution to a similar question which was also my problem.. I would like to get a new tank and would like to know if...

Turning off water for faucet replacement [ 4 Answers ]

My husband attempted the rather easy job of replacing a kitchen faucet. After turning off water supply, water continues to dribble out of faucet.. He says there some problem in turn off valve. How does he replace valve if water is running out of the faucet? We DO have a well for water supply.

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

View more questions Search