Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwillguess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2005, 01:27 PM
    Dropped diamond earring
    My daughter dropped her diamond earring down the drain. I assume it is caught in the trap but have found that the trap does not have the hand tightened connectors. Instead, it is a solid piece which is connected into another piece which has a purple paint-like substance on it on both ends. I can't seem to break the seals to get into the trap. Any ideas?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2005, 02:29 PM
    Use a saw to cut the horizontal piece between the trap and where it goes in the wall. Maybe leave 2'' of straight pipe on the side next to the trap. Then remove the nut on the underside that holds the drain to the sink. You should be able to it away then and dump the trap into a bucket or something and hopefully the earring will be there.

Examine the pipe you have removed. See if it tells on it what it is, PVC, ABS, etc. Also look fro the size, 2'', 1 1/2'', etc. If you don't fine the size, measure the cut end. A 1 1/2'' drain line will be about 1 5/8'' ID and 1 3/4'' OD. You can buy a complete new drain line, trap, and wall pipe with a compression fitting to go on the old line into the wall. You could also just buy the proper coupling and cement, and splice the cut pipe back together. Easier yet, a compression fitting to rejoin the cut parts.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 20, 2005, 02:33 PM
    Dropped diamond earring
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillguess
    My daughter dropped her diamond earring down the drain. I assume it is caught in the trap but have found that the trap does not have the hand tightened connectors. Instead, it is a solid piece which is connected into another piece which has a purple paint-like substance on it on both ends. I can't seem to break the seals to get into the trap. Any ideas?
    Firstly! Do not run any water down the drain. You failed to give many details. It would help if I knew what drain she dropped it down. Since you didn't say,and going by the purple primer I'm going to assume that this is a one-piece PVC trap. There is only one way to retrive the earring from a one piece PVC trap. If the trap connects to the tailpiece of the drain with a glue joint it will have to be removed by sawing the vertical raiser from the trap with a hacksaw.
    The same for the stubout out of the wall. Saw that in two also. The trap may now be removed and the erring retrived. To reassamble purchase a small can of PVC Primer , a small can of PVC Cement and 2 PVC couplings in the correct pipe size. With no information I'm kind of flying blind here so this is the best I can do. If I'm wrong about the material of the trap and pipes click on back with more details. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dropped Diamond earring down the drain! [ 13 Answers ]

PLease help! I just dropped my earring down the drain. The water wasn't running, it just dropped. Can I assume it's possibly still sitting in the pipe? My husband isn't answering his office phone and I am frantic. Please help me!

Dropped diamond earring down the drain! [ 7 Answers ]

Help! My diamond earring fell down the drain while I was in the shower. The water was obviously running. Wasn't in the shower long, so I'm hoping it hasn't been washed past the trap. Is there any way to get it back?

Earring down bath-tub drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Quick question: My wife dropped her earring down the bath-tub drain. No water has gone down the drain, but I don't know if bath tubs have a trap similar to a sink. Can it be retrieved or is it lost? Can a plumber help?

Hot water pressure suddenly dropped [ 2 Answers ]

In kitchen sink, was using hot and cold water (separate knobs) and all of a sudden the hot water pressure dropped to a trickle. I tried taking the faucet apart and checking the washers, and they were all fine. Cleaned everything really well and put it all back together, and still have trickle for...

What to do for items dropped into toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I`ve dropped a hair-clip about 1-2ins. In diameter,into The toilet as it was flushing. The toilet seems to be Flushing properly so far, but I`m concerned about it Becoming problematic in the future. Is there something I can pour into it to disintegrate it? It`s plastic.

View more questions Search