Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljoyhoover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Air in water pipes
    What could be causing occasional air in our water pipes? We have a well and recently every once in a while when we flush a toilet or turn on a faucet, air comes out with the water.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2007, 06:56 AM
    One of several things might be happening.
    (1) You have a small leak in the suction line and you're pulling air.**OR**
    (2) The water table has been lowered and the pump's cavatating, pulling air instead of water. Any way you look at it your pumps pulling air and that can only happen in the suction section and that's what I'd check first. Good luck, Tom
    Christopher_amatulli Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Apr 14, 2007, 05:07 PM
    In addition to speedball1's comments, you should also have someone check the Y joint in the pump line (in the well)... if its old, it could be rotting and in need of replacement...

You should also have someone check your pressure tank. If air is getting that far through your system, the pressure tank itself might have an issue.

How much air are we talking? A quick sputter or does it take a min or two to completey clear it?
    Wibbie45 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_amatulli
    in addition to speedball1's comments, you should also have someone check the Y joint in the pump line (in the well)... if its old, it could be rotting and in need of replacement...

you should also have someone check your pressure tank. if air is getting that far through your system, the pressure tank itself might have an issue.

how much air are we talking? a quick sputter or does it take a min or two to completey clear it?
    The air does not stop until I turn of the hot water
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 20, 2007, 07:43 AM
    the air does not stop until I turn of the hot water
    Then that would put the focus on the hot water heater. If the heater cold water supply's the first branch the air could have got in the tank through the cold water supply. Back to checking the pump. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vibrating (Banging) Water Pipes (Water Running) [ 2 Answers ]

When upstairs tub valve is opened for the first time in the evening, loud banging noise sometimes ensues from pipes. Banging is alleviated when supply is redirected to showerhead, or when water is turned off. Single-handle Pegasus (Home Depot) valve. No issues when supply is off (not "water...

Gas Central Heating Air in pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Constantly having to bleed the radiators to get air out of the pipes. Originally told it was sludge and paid a fortune to get it done but still no joy. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS.

Air in pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have 2 questions 1- How can I take the air out from the hot water pipes. Summary: I bought a house and the plumbing was re-done just before and also a new gas hot water tank was installed. Sometimes the noise scares my kids.:D 2- Why do we have a hard time to have a shower with...

View more questions Search