Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shoof920 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 12:06 AM
    Moving Waste Drain for tub and toilet
    Hi,

I am gutting and remodeling my second floor bathroom, I want to move my tub and toilet to extend my master bathroom. To do this I need to shift my drains (in this picture) about 45 degrees. The top tube is the vent. The pipe to the left is the tub drain and the pipe coming straight out at the camera is the toilet drain and flange. I would also like to know if it is feasible to switch this drain to PVC or would that not make a difference. Please advise me on this issue.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 5, 2007, 06:39 AM
    I see the 4 XZ 2 wye picking up the tub and toilet but what fitting is the vent coming off from? Can you bust out the wye and convert to PVC from there? Or you could continue on using cast iron No-Hub fittings and bands. Which way would the job have to be turned 45 degrees? Left? Right? Let me know, Tom

Apr 5, 2007, 08:34 AM
    The job would have to be turned to the right if you are looking at the picture. The bathtub drain would be where the toilet drain currently is
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 5, 2007, 08:53 AM
    What fitting is the wye connected to? Is it a vertical fitting or a horizontal one? Would it be possible to loosen the lead joint on the fitting the wye's tied to and cut the tub drain and swing the wye around 45 degrees? Tom

Apr 5, 2007, 05:29 PM
    I am not sure what the difference between a vertical and horizontal fitting. The waste pipe runs straight down and the vent shoots off to the left. Do you think I could loosen it aand swing it around? Is that feasible.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    What fitting is the wye connected to? Is it a vertical fitting or a horizontal one? Would it be possible to loosen the lead joint on the fitting the wye's tied to and cut the tub drain and swing the wye around 45 degrees? Tom
    It looks like a side inlet 90 with the tub connected to the 2" side inlet with 2" lead pipe.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 08:15 PM
    It is a left hand side inlet tee with lead branches. He is going to have to cut it out from the wall below and come up again with pvc. [hope this heavy thing does not fall when you cut it].
    Typically, lead branches say the floor joists are too shallow for a 2" trap.

Apr 5, 2007, 09:44 PM
    I would love to hire a plumber however I live in post-katrina New Orleans where it is very hard to find someone reliable and if you do they are overly expensive. I have on other question. Can I take out the existing wye joint with left inlet from the top and bottom pipes and replace it with a pvc using No-hub couplings, thus eliminating the need to cut a large heavy section out.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 6, 2007, 06:53 AM
    OK, so now we know it's a side inlet fitting. Growler sez 90, Doug sez,tee.
    No matter. Can the top lead joint be loosened or removed, the tub drain cut and the entire fitting swung around 45 degrees? Cheers, Tom
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Doug's right, it's a Tee.

As for swinging it around, sure it can be loosened up and swung around, but the joints are going to need to be re-caulked with oakum and poured lead.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 07:57 AM
    If it were me, I would cut the fitting out altogether, I'd also eliminate the existing vent and run a new 2" vent and then start fresh from the floor below.

Something like this:
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Convert toilet waste to shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying a home where the master bath has his & her toilets. I want to remove one toilet and install a shower in this area. Since the toilet line is already vented, is there any problem with just removing the closet flange and adding a reducing coupler to the 3 or 4 inch wasteline to convert...

Moving cast iron toilet drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. First off, I have been reading some posts on toilet moving and I must say I am really impressed by the members here. Many of you are very thorough and thoughtful in your posts. All right, so here's my problem. I would like to move a toilet over about a foot in my bathroom. I will be...

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Remodling Bathroom, moving toilet and putting in Tub, not sure how to run drains [ 15 Answers ]

The main question I have is how the flow should be on the shower because I do no see a way for it to be upstream from the toilet and vent. Can someone please offer some advice on how to run the pipes, I am pretty handy and usually do my own work, but I don't want to make any mistakes. Thanks,

View more questions Search