Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wagsthedog Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Apr 3, 2007, 12:58 AM
    Puppy Potty/Toilet Training.Upstairs? Downstairs?
    We are toilet training our 9week old pup, he is good, most of the time. I have heaps of ideas and tips on this but it becomes a problem with night & early mornings as we live upstairs. He gets taken downstairs to go before we go to bed and sleeps upstairs. Is he just to young to take the hike down, or being lazy? Can any one help??
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 03:18 AM
    I don't understand your question. Is he is having trouble holding it going down stairs, when he hasn't been out for a while? If so, pick him up and carry him down. When you see he needs to go, gently pick him up, and carry him out. I do that some even starting with the puppy on the first floor. Walking and other exercise stimulates the body making it harder to hold it. Most puppies won't eliminate if you are holding them.

Many puppies haven't managed steps at 9 weeks either.

Perhaps you have instructions coming out your ears, but it will still be worth looking at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

Apr 3, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Thanks for quick reply... He goes outside most of the time, and quite often takes himself downstairs and out the back. He's a robust staffie and has no probs with stairs. I guess the most accidents happen aduring the night and before we wake (which I know is when he is not being watched) and I'm really after a way to encourage him down more often, by himself. We have a litter box on the balcony but worried this will confuse if we give more options of where he can go? Not sure on that part... I can persevere if he just needs more time? (P.S He only goes inside upstairs, if he is down he will go outside)
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 06:28 AM
    He sounds like he is doing well at 9 weeks. Dogs don't suddenly become housebroken. Even after the ''Aha!'' moment when they realize that if they go stand at the door, you will come let them out, they still have accidents. It is partly they are too busy to go until they can't hold it, and the slightest lapse in your attention.

And yes, some learn steps sooner than others. Our one puppy was jumping up on the sofa when others were struggling with the step between the board walk and grass.

Apr 3, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Ta again... might just pick your brain once more! Will I confuse him by using a litter tray when upstairs? If not, is paper or cat litter/sand best? (when he does have a sniff in the litter box, which has the sand granuals in it now, he tends to "dig")Cheers!
    I should also add that we live in a two story house, not apartments etc. so he roams up & down. The yard is fully fenced and we therefore leave doors open... he is very quick to learn and I try to be understanding of accidents as I have been through it with my kids!! We spent the first few days he was home downstairs, if upstairs he goes inside or on the balcony so do I encourage the use of the litter box or take him down?
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 09:35 AM
    I am sorry you had to post back on this. I think the upstairs litter box will work. He will still be withdrawing from the living area. Many of the places we take our puppies, we have to keep them on lead and remember to give them a break. However both places we visit and visitors to our house seem to catch on to going to a different door in a different place. I don't see it as a problem.

He may dig in the sand, but won't shred it. Don't know about Staffies, but Labs are terrible, some worse that others. Look at what I had to do to my A/C and outdoor faucet.

RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Just as an add on, and I hope you pick up this post, but at 9 weeks, they all usually have a hard time holding it in until we wake up in the morning.

I am assuming that you have only had him for about a week, so as labman states, your little guy is doing quite well. But, as difficult as this may be for you, someone should probably get up in the middle of the night for at least a week or two and give him a nighttime potty break. No potty breaks for 5, 6 hours or more, is a lot of time for the little guy to wait at this age. As he starts getting onto a regular schedule and you notice that he doesn't seem to have a problem holding it for a few hours during the daytime, you can start extending the duration of the night time breaks until you get him to the point where he will sleep all through the night without incident.

Apr 3, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Thanks guys... I am a night owl so he last goes out around 11pm but that still leaves quite a few hours before up time, guessing this is when he needs us to be more attentive. Its tricky to watch him for daily routine as I have a 4month old baby... she also sleeps right through the night & I take advantage by sleeping through too! But with the advice, I'll be doing my best to watch him more... and get up earlier... Urghhh (my six y.o little boy is also learning to take him out first thing!) Thanks again :)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2007, 07:22 PM
    LOL wag, I can relate. But you have chosen a wonderful breed and it will be worth all this. With the right socialization and training, he will make an excellent addition to your family. I wish you peaceful rest and sleep when you do manage to get it! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy potty training confusion [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 9 week old male Scottish Terrier; I live in an upstairs flat and am not finding a place or method for potty training that is working. I am having him go in either the bathroom or outside depending on the weather (it is cold and we have snow) and time of day and I am concerned that this is...

Potty training puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old boxer puppy and I have had her for about 6 weeks. We have tried everything to potty train her but it doesn't seem to work. At first, she had worms and we were treating her for that, so we expected some extra messes. A friend that is a dog trainer told us try the crate...

Where do you start potty training a puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will be a first time owner of a puppy, Yorkie. I have done some research on this breed, so I am familiar with it. But, I have never owned a puppy, and I have read so many ways of housetraining. Where do I start? Advice needed. THANKS

Potty training a puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 month old male miniature miniature and I can't seem to potty train him, every time I put him outside after he eats or drinks, he won't go and then goes in the house when I let him in. any suggestions?

Upstairs potty training [ 3 Answers ]

Last week we brought home our 8 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback. We were advised to try crate training and it seemed to be going well. She loves her crate though we can't close the door on her yet. The problem is that we live in a house with a large flight of stairs to get out into the back yard and...

View more questions Search