Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djinin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Rusted Bolts on Toilet
    I am trying to fix my toilet and need to remove the tank. Unfortunately the bolts are rusted and stripped so I can't remove the nuts/bolts. What should I do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 03:57 PM
    I guess you will have to take a hacksaw to them and cut them off. It wouldn't be the first time I had to do that in a home renovation !
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Yep, hacksaw time, DO NOT CHISEL THOSE BOLTS. Once they are striped your done for.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by djinin
    I am trying to fix my toilet and need to remove the tank. Unfortunately the bolts are rusted and stripped so I can't remove the nuts/bolts. What should I do?
    Hacksaws are great, but I'm rather partial to the skin on my knuckles, so I usually use a Dremel tool with a corrugated cut-off wheel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leak at floor near toilet mounting bolts [ 2 Answers ]

We noticed occasional water seepage on floor near one of the mounting bolts. I assumed it was a faulty wax seal, so, we removed the toilet bowl, and replaced the seal. We thought the matter was resolved, but, then we observed that especially when there is weight on the toilet, water gushes from...

Toilet leak at mounting bolts [ 4 Answers ]

I have a mid-80's Crane toilet. I can not get it to stop leaking from the two mounting bolts. I've tried replacing the washers & bolts, cleaning the porcelein with scouring pad, and even using plumbers putty. Nothing works! I've tried tightening and loosening the bolts. I'm at my wits end and...

Removing stem bolts from tub faucets [ 2 Answers ]

Good evening! I am trying to remove the bolts that hold the stems of the hot and cold water faucets on the tub. I'm using a cresent wrench and it's almost rounding the edges of the bolt. I've sprayed WD-40 in between the bolt and water pipes but they haven't budged yet... I'm trying to get the...

Dyi rusted toilet flange? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toilet flange on a 4" cast iron pipe (c. 1955) that has rusted away to the extent that the flange lip has broken away, so the toilet bolts have nothing to hold on to. The flange is cast iron, the pipe appears to be cast iron. I can get to the pipe from under the floor but not the top...

View more questions Search