Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarishGaur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 12:31 AM
    Water runs through sprout when shower head is turned on
    My bathroom shower exhibits this peculiar behavior. When I turn the shower on, water runs through the spout (as expected). As soon as I lift the divertor up, water flows from the shower head (as expected). However, at the same time, I do see fairly decent flow of water continue to run through the sprout.

I have seen issues that water runs from sprout up to the shower head. Problem which I have laid out over here is exactly the reverse - Water runs through sprout, when it shouldn't be.

Any suggestions? Is it a diverter stem issue? Or anything else?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2007, 08:07 PM
    When you lift the diverter to make the water go up to the shower head there is a gasket that is suppose to cut off the water from going out the spout. These gaskets get bad and the only way to stop the problem is to replace the entire spout, there are different kinds of spouts so I would advise you to take off the old spout and take it with you to the store to make sure you get one of the same type.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water pressure when shower turned on [ 1 Answers ]

When faucet is turned on in tub the pressure is great. When the shower is engaged the pressure decreases rapidly.. makes a gurgling sound and completely stops coming out. We have not had anything done to our bathroom, except that I took off the shower head to clean it of lime & rust build up, but...

Handles turned of but water still runs [ 3 Answers ]

The faucet is a peerless, split handle that is dripping from the spout. I took it apart to buy replacment parts which I couldn't find so I re-assembled it which wasn't very difficult as there were few parts. Now with everything back together both hot and cold handles are in the off position (or...

Tub Faucet runs at same time as Shower head [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a similar problem as this thread "Faucet and shower run simultaneously" https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/faucet-shower-run-simultaneously-33198.html Except that I have a shower with 3 knobs. You turn the middle knob to turn the shower head on. This shower is at least ten...

Faucet still runs when shower is turned on. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three handle faucet. I replaced the washer on the end of the stem, but that wasn't the problem. What could it be?

Hot water in the shower until shower head installed [ 6 Answers ]

I have hot water in all my other faucets/showers. I also have hot water at the particular shower with the problem as long as a shower head is not installed. When I install the shower head, the water is lukewarm. Any ideas for the source of the problem, and how to fix?

View more questions Search