Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dadachip Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2005, 12:10 PM
    Disentegrated (Possibly Lead) pipe in concrete slab for S-trap
    1-1/4 trap broke off level with the slab in my ground floor BR. Listening to bad advise, I tried prying away the remainder of the trap in the floor, now what appears to be soft soft lead pipe has tottally disintegrted and I see down to the dirt and the remainder of the pipe under the slab. I already know I will have to break up the slab to get to this repair, what I don't know is if I can keep it to a minimun and rehook up to the (possible lead) pipe somehow, (Fernco -- or as an old-timer plumber told to me a "Bit" joint? ), or do I need to do a more extensive repair all the way to the main drain.

Thank's from Mr. Fix-it... err... Mr. BREAK-IT!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 29, 2005, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dadachip
    1-1/4 trap broke off level with the slab in my ground floor BR. Listening to bad advise, I tried prying away the remainder of the trap in the floor, now what appears to be soft soft lead pipe has tottally disintegrted and I see down to the dirt and the remainder of the pipe under the slab. I already know I will have to break up the slab to get to this repair, what I don't know is if I can keep it to a minimun and rehook up to the (possible lead) pipe somehow, (Fernco -- or as an old-timer plumber told to me a "Bit" joint??), or do I need to do a more extensive repair all the way to the main drain.

Thank's from Mr. Fix-it...err...Mr. BREAK-IT!
    I'm not even going to mention that "S" traps have been outlawed in all local and state codes. For years. I have no idea what a "bit joint" is, ( and I AM a old time plumber) but here's how I would go about it. CARFULLY break up the floor back to where the pipe can be coupled to. Use a neoprene coupling with hose clamps to convert to PVC pipe. Come out of the ground with a short sweep drainage elbo and connect to a PVC "S" trap. Good luck and what in hell's a "Fernco"? The name of that old time plumber? Cheers, Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2005, 09:08 PM
    Hey Speedball,
    www.fernco.com

They make all kinds of couplings.

Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2005, 06:13 AM
    Fernco
    Thanks Tommy,
    I placed the site in my data base. I didn't think it was the name of a old time plumber. I really thought it was the name of a Mafia hit man. Now if someone will please explain what a "bit joint" is my education will be complete.

Cheers, another Tom
    dadachip Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2005, 06:24 AM
    Thank You Speedball1... er... Tom!

The Plumber I had chatted with who mentioned this "bit joint" told me it had something to do with flaring the lead pipe and inserting another inside. He did say not to many guys do this... I will try to find out more. But the "Fernco" sounds good enough to me!

Chip
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2005, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dadachip
    Thank You Speedball1...er...Tom!

The Plumber I had chatted with who mentioned this "bit joint" told me it had something to do with flaring the lead pipe and inserting another inside. He did say not to many guys do this...I will try to find out more. But the "Fernco" sounds good enough to me!

Chip
    Now that's something this "old timey plumber" can understand. It's called "wiping a joint" and he's right, lead working's a lost art. Back when I took my exam we had to join two pieces of sheet lead together by soldering them. This was done very carfully and with a low flame as too much heat would just melt the lead. To make a flare in a lead pipe we used a wooden top to make the flare. All lead working tools were made of wood, different size tops, forming paddles, wooden mallets and wiping cloths were the tools we used.
    However you don't want to couple to lead, you need to convert to PVC. But thanks for clearing that up. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

45yr old lead shower stall concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I removed the lead shower pan and cut the lead off around the drain. Removed the drain ,seems to be a 4" to 5" piece of lead pipe down in the concrete I guess attached to cast iron .how do I go about this situation??

Lead pipe replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I've bought a house in Chorlton in manchester. The house is a middle terrace and has a stop tap approximately 10 metres from the house boundary and the street. I have a builder renovating the house who informed me that there are lead pipes connecting to the water supply and he has alerted me to the...

Shower p-trap - concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I have already poured a 6 inch thick concrete slab for a shop floor. During the slab construction a 3 inch pvc rough stubbed drain was put in the concrete to act as the shower drain (from the shower to the septic tank line). I realized after the fact that no p-trap was placed within the slab; only...

Shower / slab / where is the P Trap? [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing a (walk out) basement bathroom with a slab foundation. The bathroom drains were installed when the house was built, and I have been doing really well until the shower was next in line. The shower drain is a 2" pvc drain protruding up through a cynderblock that was layed in the slab...

Replacing lead pipe with pvc [ 9 Answers ]

The lead pipe and drain from my father-in-laws' bathroom is leaking and needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to just remove all of the lead (only a few feet) and cast iron all the way to the entry into the main discharge. Currently the 2 pieces of cast iron have a leaded seal. How do I connect...

View more questions Search