Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    striker76 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2013, 09:01 AM
    Sealing a Shower Pan
    I work for a University and we are having multiple problems with leaking showers. I have tested the pans and they drop as much as 1inch to 2 inches in 30 min. I am told to Re-grout the shower floors. I know that this will not solve the issues. My showers now tilt toward the rear of the shower and away from the drain causing puddles in the bottom of the shower. Yes the grout is missing in the areas that the water gathers, and I have done complete re-grouting 2 years ago in the building. First question, Is there a way or a material that will stop the leaking until we can replace the pan? 2nd question: Is there any literature on how to replace a pan including why the issue will not be fixed with a simple re-grout. Sorry if I sound short, Simply been fighting with the upper staff on this issue since I started here 4 years ago. My 15 years of experience seems not to mean much here. Thank you,
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 27, 2013, 04:53 PM
    How have you tested the pan for leaks? Have you used an inflatable plug? Was it placed into the pipe far enough so it was below the weep holes?

As you said, grout, caulk and tile has nothing to do with waterproofing a shower. The shower must be waterproofed before the tiles are installed. The tiles are there for easy maintenance and to look nice.

I understand the staff may have no clue how a shower is built. Heck, some tile guys and plumbers don't even know the completely right way.

There's all kind of sketches available that show how a traditional shower is built, but too late now in this case.

If you tested the pan correctly, next comes the drain pipes and water supply. Where does water show up outside the shower?

Jaz

Feb 28, 2013, 07:22 AM
    THANK YOU.
    Yes, I am using inflatable plugs pumped up to 40psi. I place them as deep as I can in the drain itself without losing the ability to release the pressure. We have checked the water supplies, one of the first things the Building Mechanics do when the first call is received. I know it's the pans. The problem is we have had this problem before and I finely had got the supervises to replace around 8 in this one building in particular. While the plumbing is old and done back when plumbing was an art, not simply a trade, you know, Cut and Threaded iron pipes, the only water leak I can find is when I plug the drain and it rains on the room below. The Supies want me to re-grout the showers to hold out until summer. With the sub floor now compromised and water puddling in the bottom of the floor, I fear there may not be a fix. But is there any kind of material I could use that will set up in under 24 hrs and will waterproof the pan for say 6 months? Or is there a book I can find that will explain to the big paychecks what is really the problem. Like I said, my 15 yrs ex. In the field is not enough. That would be General construction however. Not just plumbing. Family G.C. and all.

Feb 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by striker76
    I place them (inflatable plug) as deep as I can in the drain itself without loosing the ability to release the pressure.
    Well, that doesn't answer the question, but you obviously know it has to go below the weep holes in the drain which are probably a good 2" below the strainer.

You can't repair a damaged pan without ripping it all out. You can slow it down with caulk or grout a little. If you were certain where the hole was, it might be possible to apply a membrane on the floor and tile over it. I've done that 8-10 times with good success.

The supervisors don't seem to know how showers are built and is why they think tile, grout and caulk makes a shower waterproof, I guess.

You need to plan for a better method for the next set of showers.

Jaz

Mar 1, 2013, 02:20 PM
    Well, We have now tried a new method today. Rubber coating the bottom of the shower. We will see if that will stop the leak in one of our shower. It works for a screen door in a boat right. They are trying for a bandage to make it till summer. Thank you for the information Jaz. I will let you know how it works. What Membrane repair did you try? We are in the process of trying one, But I am not impressed with the install at this point. It is called Schonox.

Mar 1, 2013, 03:00 PM
    I've never heard of Schonox, I see it's a division of Akzo Noble. But Schonox is a brand of many products you didn't say which one you're trying.

Jaz

Mar 5, 2013, 09:19 AM
    You know what the sad part is, I can not see anywhere in the brochure the rep from CFD gave me or anywhere on their site nor Schonox site where they even mention a Shower Pan. Looks like it is call the Balterra System. This is on the pan itself in the installed shower. The only problem is I can not find anything about it, or that it is used for Shower Pans. They used a primer and joint mortar from what I can see. Then put in a fiber shower pan over the mix while still wet.. I can not find any info on the actual shower pan material however. I do have some Pics of what they want me to tile to. The Idea is to tile the pan, But it is grooved from the tile underneath and is soft at the corners were the wall meets the floors. Looks to me like a shower Pan over tile and nothing like what they were trying to sell us on. In the Pic, you see I broke back the original tile to keep from having the water trap of two layers of tile. We do have that problem in some of our other buildings. With two layers of tile, the water will trap and run down behind the fix. This was done years ago before I even set foot on this campus. Heck, I believe before I was even a thought in my mothers mind for that matter, back in the 60s. I will be glad to report however, that the rubber matting spray works to stop the leak for now. Beets trying to re-grout it to seal it.
    Attached Images

Mar 6, 2013, 05:24 PM
    Someone doesn't understand how to build showers. You can't tile directly over the shower pan, that gray stuff that has Schonox & Balterra on it.

Don't know what's going on, I'd have to be there.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain - sealing off [ 5 Answers ]

My 3rd bathoom has a small ceramic tile shower which no one uses. (Recently, I have had an influx of large cockroaches coming out of the drain. I have no idea how they get into the drain, but they do.) In the short term, I have duct-taped the drain closed. My preference is to completely remove...

Sealing floor and shower grout... what to use? [ 1 Answers ]

I just had my bath updated with porcelain tile on floor and shower stall. My contractor did not recommend sealing the tile or grout. I am apprehensive of the possibility of mold growth in the shower stall since this one of many reasons we remodeled in the first place. After researching the...

Installed the shower pan and forgot to put in the shower drain first... oops! [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 3x5 fiberglass pan installed (built in with framing on top of it) and no way to get the drain attached. Argh. Is there any way to deal with this without ripping out all this work?

Proper shower pan install utilizing exsting basement shower drain [ 6 Answers ]

I am remodeling a basement bathroom. I demo'd the shower and its tile to reveal rotted framing. I believe this is due to an improper or (more likely) not existent shower pan -- there was no water proof membrane between the tile/thinset and the framing. Can I build a proper shower pan...

My shower drain is raised above the shower pan by 3/16" causing standing water [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower stall where the bottom has either slumped or the stall was installed wrong to begin with (it has no support beneath the surface that I stand on). The drain sticks above the level line so I have about 3/16" of standing water. I cannot easily access the bottom from the...

View more questions Search