Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bamamojo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Sizing pipe for natural gas and fan runs continuously
    Folks,
    I've got a couple of question concerning a Goodman Furnace GPG13:

1. This furnace is rated at 138,000 BTU. My gas meter is a 2 pound system. The furnace is about 20 feet away from the meter. Currently I've got 1/2" pipe connected to it. Is this right? Or should I use 3/4" pipe? How do you size pipe for BTU ratings?

2. The fan for this furnace keeps running even after the thermostat is not calling for heat. Not a whole lot of air comes out but enough that you can feel it. The only way it shuts off is if I shut power off. What could it be?

Thanks in advance!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 08:45 AM
    In my area the code calls for 3/4 black pipe. The thermostat should have a control switch for the fan. Two options are normally given; fan-on and fan auto. Fan auto runs when the furnace is calling for heat, fan on runs 24/7. 24/7 is not a bad thing. It help to keep your home temp more uniform and actually does not use more electricity than fan auto. Once a fan stops running it takes quite a bit of power to get it spinning again. The start windings in an electric motor can draw 4X as much power compared to the running load.
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 7, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bamamojo
    Folks,
    I've got a couple of question concerning a Goodman Furnace GPG13:

1. This furnace is rated at 138,000 BTU. My gas meter is a 2 pound system. The furnace is about 20 feet away from the meter. Currently I've got 1/2" pipe connected to it. Is this right? Or should I use 3/4" pipe? How do you size pipe for BTU ratings? pressure readings help to determine pipe sizes seems ok at 1/2 inch for the btu's required

2. The fan for this furnace keeps running even after the thermostat is not calling for heat. Not a whole lot of air comes out but enough that you can feel it. The only way it shuts off is if I shut power off. What could it be? look for a fault light to see if a safty has been trippde this may explane the continous fan opperation, then as allways check filters and evaporator coils for blockage

Thanks in advance!
    Hope this has helped

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump AHU fan runs continuously [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Trane Xe1000 heat pump. Recently I noticed that the fan keeps running continuously even when the outside unit turns off. It's as if the tstat fan switch is set to On (it's not) instead of Auto. I tried a few things: 1) In the tstat (weathertron) I disconnected the fan...

Hot water continuously runs into expansion tank [ 6 Answers ]

I have an indirect water heating system and the hot water from the tank is running into the central heating expansion tank, it does not fill up and go down the overflow so I caan only assume that the central heating water is leaking into the hot water tank and going out of the overflow into the...

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

Inside fan runs, outside fan runs, but air is not cold [ 8 Answers ]

The inside fan runs and runs, the outside fan on the compressor runs and runs, but only hot air comes out. I sprayed the outside compressor coils with the garden hose to clean them and checked the inside filter. Is there something else I could check? Thanks

Outside fan runs continuously [ 5 Answers ]

This is a very helpful sight and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a fairly new house (5 years old) and I am having some problems with a Carrier unit. At the end of this summer it started tripping the breaker on very hot days and we called a technician whom found nothing wrong. ...

View more questions Search