Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike H Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Broken rod iron drain pipe in bathroom concrete floor
    What is the best way to remove a section of concrete (w/steel rods) from a bathroom floor to remove an old rotten rod iron drain pipe?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2007, 06:43 AM
    PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT.
    If you want to do it, determine the thickness of the concrete. Some areas are reinforced up to 20" thick. Many rent a concrete cutter. Many rent a jack hammer. Use a dust mask, the dust can hurt you badly. Using a sledge hammer inside is dangerous, it cause chips to fly all over and the hammer can catch on something and hit you in the back of the head.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 4, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H
    What is the best way to remove a section of concrete (w/steel rods) from a bathroom floor to remove an old rotten rod iron drain pipe?
    Hi Mike,

Doug gave you good advice. Let me add a little to it. Steel rods = Rebar but I think you're referring to the wire mesh that reinforces the cement pour. Since most pours are 4" I use a Skill Saw with a cement blade to make my cut. I then take a jachhanmmer,( if I have one) or a sledge hammer,(if I don't) and break it out to remove it. As Doug has suggested use a dust mask and safety goggles. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Toilet drain pipe broken! [ 6 Answers ]

My husband removed a toilet today, it was leaking sewage on the floor and into the other room. When we pulled the toilet off, we knew why. The flange came with the toilet when we pulled it off along with some of the drain pipe. Clearly the pipe has been broken for some time. The flange was almost...

Waste pipe in concrete floor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home that we have a spare bathroom that was rouged in. The home is slab construction with no basement due to the geology/hydrology in our area. The question I have is this: I have a waste pipe for a future toilet sticking up out of the floor. It looks like it's made of lead. Is...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search