Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eileen Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2004, 06:44 PM
    Bathtub drain lever help
    undefined
    I need some advice on how to replace a bathtub drain lever. The tub doesn't drain unless you hold the lever in a certain position. I unscrewed the cover on the lever and started to pull out the guts - but thought - I better ask someone for help. It's a Price Pfister cover and the drain has a cross in it. I don't know if this helps or not. The guts that I started to pull out were two straight pieces that were connected - kind of like joints. I'm thinking they might be connected to something down by the drain. Do I need to come in from the wall side to repair this? Also, I wanted to replace the faucet while I was at it and I couldn't turn it at all. We have really hard water and it corrodes everything - I'm afraid that I might break a pipe if I try to hard.

Any help out there for me? I'm tried of taking a bathower and worried the kids might slip and fall!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 29, 2004, 07:34 AM
    Bathtub drain lever help
    Good morning Eileen,

The trip lever doesn't need to be replaced, it needs to be adjusted. This can be done from the front.
    If you have to hold the lever down to make it drain then it's misadjusted.
    Remove the two screws securing the face plate and pull the brass linkage and the stopper out. You will see threaded rods and nuts. You need to adjust the linkage longer so adjust the linkage so that the lever is in a full upright position when the brass stopper is seated. If you've done it right the holes will match up and you can replace the screws. If not, keep trying.
    Now the stopper should stay up and the lever remain down when you drain the tub.
    The bath valve's a different story. Unless you have plumbing skills this is a job for a licensed plumber. If you have copper pipes he will have to evacuate the pipes and solder in a new valve. This requires a torch and soldering skills. Good luck and Happy New Year. Tom

Dec 30, 2004, 10:39 AM
    Thank you Speedball for such a speedy response - but I'm still having problems!
    I took out the pieces. I adjusted it as far up as it the threaded post would go. I found that although the lever now caught, I didn't notice a huge difference in the drainage. So I tried to adjust it longer, but it didn't help either. I took it completely out and ran water and it still drained too slow. So I'm thinking maybe a hairball is in there - in combination with the trip adjustment. I'm going to the store and find some drain cleaner to see if that with the adjustment will work. The faceplate is pretty corroded, so perhaps I can replace this also.

I appreicate your advice - it gave me the confidence to try to repair it. Any thoughts on a drain cleaner?
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 30, 2004, 11:02 AM
    Slow Drain
    I have no faith in harsh chemicals. The only way to be sure a line's clear is to auger it out.While you're at the hardware store purchase a hand crank auger and run the cable down the open trip lever hole. About 18" down you will hit the bend of the trap. Push and auger your way around it and put out about 8 more feet of cable. This should clear out your line. Afterwards, pour 2 large pans of boiling water down the drain. This will loosen the grease and flush the gunk out into the mains. Good luck and Happy New Year Tom

Dec 30, 2004, 11:55 AM
    Thanks Again
    I'll give it a try - thanks again - and happy New Year to you!

Dec 31, 2004, 01:14 PM
    It Worked!
    Thanks for your guidance Speedball1 - My waterbills will be higher now that I can shower! The only snag I ran into was buying an auger - I bought one that was 20ft long and encased in a plastic case. I thought good deal - it will roll up and tuck neatly away - think again! I had to break the case to get to it and it didn't work anyhow - I wound up trying a coat hanger as a last ditch effort and whatever was lodged is gone. I also poured boiling water down the drain - just to clean it out. I think I'll be doing that at least once a quarter. I was so motitvated I decided to take apart the pipe under the sink. I first poured boiling water down it a couple of times and then took it apart and cleaned it out - it was disgusting! Now my both drains are running clear. Thanks again - my New Year is off to a good start - even before it begins! I'm recommending this sight to everyone!
    staceyholmes31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 11:09 PM
    How do u fix a broken drain lever and connect all the pieces back together for it all to work properly
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2011, 06:19 AM
    Hi Stacey

I posted a picture at your other question about a price pfister tub waste and will post it here again. Let me know if you need more info. OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Dec 8, 2011, 06:37 AM
    This is a 7 year old thread and Stacy's post should have been deleted as a duplicate, Stacy , before you post look in the upper left hand corner for the date, Thank you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuck bathtub drain [ 2 Answers ]

The plunger in the bathtub drain is stuck partially closed. Took of lever cover and can't budge the chain to the plunger. Any ideas on what to put down there or what to try to free up this plunger?

Bathtub drain [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know what the part is called that has a lever and opens and closes the drain in the tub. I just moved in to an apartment and discovered that my tub doesn't have this so I can't take a bath only a shower. I want to know the right part to request they put back in the tub so they don't bring...

Bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I cleaned a pair of boots off in the tub. Debris went down the drain from off the boots and I think that this may be part of the problem I am experiencing. Every time I take a bath or shower and the water goes down the drain, it comes out in the basement from under the stairs. This happened twice....

Bathtub drain leaking [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I sure could use some help!! My Mom's bathtub is leaking around the outside of the drain. When water drains out after a shower or a bath it goes down the drain and comes up on the outside of the drain under the tub then it seeps out on the bathroom floor. We thought it was maybe the shower...

Bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone care to share their preference for the lever type bathtub drain vs the lift and turn type. I have always had the lever type stopper but I don't think they have worked real well after they get a little age on them.

View more questions Search