Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taichigirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 05:18 AM
    Threaded nut under toilet tank
    We need to get the toilet tank off and be able to put it back on. The wing nut on the left seems to be threaded. There seems to be no access inside the tank to hold the top of the bolt. If we hack saw it off then how can we re-attach it later?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 30, 2012, 07:40 AM
    The wing nut on the left seems to be threaded.
    Are we talking about the toilet supply nut or a tank bolt? Back to m you. Tom
    Taichigirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 08:20 AM
    Tank nut - the whole bolt just truns with the nut. I have tried holding theb bolt with pliers but no joy.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 30, 2012, 08:36 AM
    Regular tank bolts have screwdriver slots and don't use wing nuts. (see image) hack saw off the bolt and replace with regular tank bolts. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 30, 2012, 09:47 AM
    The tank bolt should have a washer under it. Try grasping it with a pair of vice grips.
    Does the tank have any play in it? IF so, try cutting the bolt between the tank and the bowl. Wrap one end of a hack saw blade with tape to make a handle. Slip the blade between the tank and the bowl. If you have any play in the tank you may be able to carefully slip a blade screwdriver between the tank and the bowl to keep them apart as you cut.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank is leaking, no water on floor, runs periodically to fill tank, what fix [ 15 Answers ]

The tank is losing water, there is none on the floor, the toilet runs periodically to refill the tank, I have replaced the flapper, the float device already.

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet braided feed line nut leaks [ 7 Answers ]

I can not get the small (3/8?) nut that attaches the toilet braied metal feed line to the cut off valve to stop leaking. I am using 2 turns of teflon, hand tighthen and then 1/4 of a turn with a wrench. It leaks. I tighthen a little more, it leaks a little less but still leaks. I tighthen even...

New shower valve has threaded unions, old one has non-threaded soldered supply lines [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new bath/shower two handle 8" spaced valve unit. It has threaded supply unions, but the supply lines are not threaded. What do I need to convert the lines? Can I install stop valve and flexible lines to the threaded valve body hot/cold connections?

View more questions Search