Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjdthree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 10:49 PM
    Leaky water heater, now pilot light will not stay lit
    We had a substantial leak in our water heater, to the point where the insulation was soaked around the tank. We had that fixed by a plumber but now the pilot light will not stay lit. it will light, and seconds after turning the heat back to on it will go out. It has now been over 24 hours since leak was fixed. Could the leak have damaged something that is replaceable? Does it just need to completely dry out? Our plumber says we need a whole new water heater.. . Any suggestions
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Typically when a pilot will not stay lit the thermocouple needs to be replaced. I suggest you get a plumber to disassemble the burner assembly and clean off the burner and replace the thermocouple and brush the pilot orifice. Also check to see if the vent is obstructed. I do not suggest you work on the gas because of the danger involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot light will not stay lit [ 43 Answers ]

The pilot light on my gas water heater will not stay lit. I can light the pilot light, but when I release the valve, it goes out.

My pilot light won't stay lit [ 6 Answers ]

Help,I have two problems.. My upstairs furnace pilot light will light,and after holding down the pilot button for about 3-4 minutes(it says one minute,but it won't stay lit after only one)it stays,but will go out again in a day or two... The furnace for the downstairs won't light at all.. I can't...

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Water heater pilot won't stay on [ 1 Answers ]

The pilot on my water heater will turn off two to three times per week. Why might cause this problem?

Armstrong Ultra sx 80, pilot light lit, but heater doesn't turn on [ 4 Answers ]

We have a propane heater. We have propane in the tank. There is air blowing through the vents, but there is no heat. Usually, there is a clicking sound in the thermostat, a whumph sound in the heater and the heat comes on. Now there is no clicking sound and no whumph. Consequently, no heat. ...

View more questions Search