Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    volksfolk74 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2004, 12:32 PM
    Drain to vent pipe
    Hi I want to add a small sink next to my toilet, it is a cement slab floor, can I drain the sink into the vent stack of the toilet. A trap will be used for the sink. I really want to stay away from busting up the floor.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 8, 2004, 01:56 PM
    Drain to vent pipe
    You may discharge into the toilet vent providing there is nothing tied in over it and you keep within code for distance. With a 1 1/2" drain pipe it's 3 1/2' from trap to vent. With a 2" drain pipe it's 5'. Cut a drainage tee into the stack at 17 3/4" from floor to the center of the tees branch. Make your lavatory stubout 18" to center from the floor. Use DWV drainage fittings throughout. Good luck, Tom

Dec 8, 2004, 03:51 PM
    Thanks for the info... that would be less than 3.5' for the 1.5" pipe, right?
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 8, 2004, 03:56 PM
    That would be less than 3.5' for the 1.5" pipe, right?

Right!

Dec 8, 2004, 04:11 PM
    Great! One more question... is there a "formula" to determine the degree of slope in the drain?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2004, 05:09 PM
    I think it is about 3%. If you notice, a DVW tee isn't a full 90. The branch is meant to slope up slightly with the run verticle. That is the angle you want.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 8, 2004, 11:43 PM
    Slope
    For your job the norm is 1/4" fall to the foot. A 5' run would give you 1 1/4" of fall. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vent Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Is It Ok To Drain My Central Ac Unit Into My 4" Bath Vent Pipe And Should There Be Water In That Pipe. The Ac Guys Did That Because The Other Ac Pipe Was Cloged.

Vent pipe for washer [ 3 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm putting a washer where none has existed before (see Washer Height Discharge). You've answered my question about discharging over a door, but now the question about the vent. There is no vent stack near the washer. Can I run a 2" PVC vent pipe horizontally? I would have the...

Vent Pipe Termination [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have 4 separate 2 inch vent pipes that will be coming from different parts of the house and all pass through the attic. Is it permissible to tie all of these together in the attic so that I only have 1 3" pipe that passes through the roof? Thanks for the help Kevin

Moving a vent pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I recently took out a wall that was part of a closet to make room for a double sink in the bathroom. The Vent pipe 3" was in the wall. I cut it at the floor , put a 90 to the left , went over about 2 feet then another 90 up through the ceiling into the attic where I went at a 45 to the right then...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search